Privacy and Civil Liberties Software Engineer
Palantir Technologies, New York, NY
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.
In this role, you will:
- Problem solve and think creatively about solutions that mitigate privacy and civil liberties concerns, while still capturing the benefits of a new technology or data set.
- Use your strong communications skills that enable you to explain legal concepts to engineers and engineering concepts to lawyers in ways that everyone can understand.
- Have the opportunity to develop new technologies and policies that will be used by actual Palantir customers.
Examples of past intern projects include:
- Developing a tool for dynamically applying data minimization transforms (hashing, character masking, generalization, etc.) to data returned by database queries.
- Implementing audit logging and audit analytics capabilities to support oversight and accountability.
- Building a web UI for complex data retention and deletion workflows that facilitate compliance with privacy and data protection regulations.
- Researching law and policy in countries around the world and advising customers on how to use Palantir's capabilities to facilitate compliance with those requirements.
What We Value
- Advanced level Computer Science coursework, including in algorithms and data structures; experience with Java and/or web technologies a plus.
- Must be planning to graduate in 2019.
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of privacy and civil liberties law and policy; conversant with PCL-related current events and legal developments.
- Strong written and oral communications skills.
- Ability and desire to collaborate with others to craft practical solutions to legal, policy, and/or ethical challenges.
About Palantir Technologies
At Palantir, we’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We partner with the most important institutions in the world to transform how they use data and technology. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, discover new medicines, gain an edge in global financial markets, and more. If these types of projects excite you, we'd love for you to join us.