, you knew that frontend was for you. What you didn’t know was how far beyond the simplicity of a grid-based layout your journey would take you. Frontend software engineers at Palantir are constantly exploring new horizons: between type theory, operational transforms, 2D and 3D mapping, UI design systems, high-scale graphics rendering, evidence-based performance optimization, and the never-ending need to decompose user asks into beautiful and maintainable software, there is always a new challenge to be faced.
Every Palantirian is encouraged to play to their personal strengths, so there is no “one size fits all” approach to frontend engineering at Palantir. Here are a few of the many diverse types of frontend software engineers you may work with at Palantir:
• The engineer who balances velocity with refinement, sprinkling code improvements at a constant clip and writing clean, production-quality code that helps mature early ideas into hardened products.
• The engineer who loves the challenge of isolating and crushing standalone problems under the might of an elegantly designed library. Writes beautiful APIs and documentation. May be active in Open Source.
• The engineer who thrives in a green field, working effortlessly with or without a designer to bring wispy ideas from whiteboard to prototypal fruition in record time. Abides by the mantra of “Move fast and make things.”
• The engineer who seeks to understand, capture, and celebrate the tiny details in the world around us. Lives for pixel perfection and the final layers of polish, elegance, and performance that will make our products take flight.
• The engineer who optimizes the tooling that others depend on, pushing the boundary of what frontend build systems can deliver. Harnesses tools such as Webpack, Lerna, and Babel to increase developer productivity and package code to be deployed anywhere.
As a frontend engineer at Palantir, you will be involved throughout the product lifecycle - from idea generation, design, and prototyping to execution and shipping. You’ll collaborate closely with designers, product managers and backend developers to shape and build powerful data-backed applications. You will be involved in high-level product and technical decision-making, as well as diving deep into the weeds to unblock those around you and write thoughtful, maintainable code. We encourage all team members to stay up-to-date with current frontend trends, identify community best practices, and teach others around them through code reviews and internal tech talks.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent understanding of algorithms, performance, and systems design.
• Familiarity with multiple web APIs (e.g. WebSockets, Web Workers, WebRTC, Canvas, WebGL).
What We Value
In addition to meeting the requirements above, we are looking for someone who displays one or more of the following skills:
• Ability to engage on UX and design topics. You have a passion for building great products, and are constantly pushing to increase your product's impact for its users.
• Demonstrated leadership experience. You have owned the development for a product, and/or helped to set the technical direction for a team of developers.
• Experience working with large and complex codebases. You navigate complexity well and hold a high quality bar for yourself and those around you.
• Experience building data-intensive and/or collaborative, multiplayer applications (e.g. CRDT, OT).
Palantir is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster
and EEO poster supplement
for additional information.