Product Reliability Engineer
Palantir Technologies, London, United Kingdom
Palantir builds software that connects data, technologies, humans and environments.
- Product Observability: PREs embed with Palantir’s development teams to build and refine: metrics, logging, monitoring, and alerting for our products to enable proactive (and increasingly automated) issue identification, prevention, and remediation. This serves to improve the performance and uptime of our products, as well as provide detailed telemetry that aids in debugging complex issues (e.g., building monitoring to understand when a new feature is not working as expected or when a new release has introduced a product regression).
- Empowering users to troubleshoot their own issues: Because PREs own their product’s stability work, they are uniquely qualified to identify areas in the product where users are unable to easily understand why something goes wrong when it does. PREs make this easier by building self-serve tools/processes that allow product users to better understand what the blockers are (e.g., whether a build failing is access-related or a product bug).
- Product Reliability Systems and Process: PREs are the amongst the most seasoned users of our deployment and stability infrastructure, which means they often identify opportunities for additional functionality that would improve operational efficiency. An important part of the PRE role is partnering with other infrastructure and operational teams across Palantir to provide this input and, where appropriate, directly deliver features that will benefit product operations. (e.g., developing a system that automatically de-duplicates product alerts and enables teams to prioritize and document critical information).
- Develop a deep understanding of Palantir's products and processes.
- Collaborate with customer-facing, product, and infrastructure teams on the development and deployment of scalable, reliable software for our customers.
- Diagnose, resolve, and prevent issues encountered in the field
- Reduce the operational overhead of Palantir’s products and leverage data to understand the largest sources of reliability risk.
- Deliver end-to-end improvements to stability by proactively preventing issues via telemetry and automation and directly reducing the need for reactive support.
- Make data-driven decisions about investments in stability and reliability.
- Take part in a 24/7 on-call rotation responsible for coordinating Palantir’s response to mission-critical incidents, ensuring efficient resolution with minimal customer impact.
What We Value
- Background in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, or other technical field.
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to break down and explain complex concepts, and strong attention to detail.
- Comfort working in a fast moving environment with dynamic objectives that require creative thinking to address product and customer needs.
- Ability to work both independently and make decisions under minimal supervision, as well as collaborate as part of a team.
- Experience with distributed computing systems and/or cloud infrastructures (e.g. Spark, Hadoop, YARN, Kubernetes, AWS, etc.) is a plus.
- Willingness and interest to travel to other Palantir locations as needed.
About Palantir Technologies
At Palantir, we’re passionate about building software that solves problems. We partner with the most important institutions in the world to transform how they use data and technology. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, discover new medicines, gain an edge in global financial markets, and more. If these types of projects excite you, we'd love for you to join us.
Want to learn more about Palantir Technologies? Visit Palantir Technologies's website.
High-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos