PatientsLikeMe is expanding our award-winning team. We believe that "to measure is to know", and all segments of our company strive to be data-driven. PatientsLikeMe is the world’s largest personalized health network, working to bring the patient voice to research, development and public policy. With over half a million members, PatientsLikeMe is a trusted source for real-world disease information and its patient-generated data form the basis of more than 100 scientific studies. PatientsLikeMe is now a central part of iCarbonX's Digital Life Alliance, whose partner organizations work in collaboration to reach a deeper understanding of the medical, behavioral and environmental factors that can accelerate disease or optimize health.
The Data Science team responds to our company’s rapid-paced need for data and analyses. We tackle the company’s toughest problems: using patient-generated data as well as high-throughput molecular omics data to derive insights about individual health in order to optimize the choices we make. The team’s analysis has led to many peer-reviewed publications and has broken new ground in elevating patient voice and experience to the level of medical evidence. As the director of the data science/computational biology team, you will lead the team to drive key insights from the world’s largest database of structured patient experiences, and a growing repository of high-throughput molecular “omics” data from a subset of these individuals, (e.g.,DNA and RNA sequence data, proteomics, metabolomics, immune arrays). You will report to the Vice President of Computational Biology, and work to create scalable processes that derive biological insights for product development.
The specific areas you and the team will work on are:
- Performing analyses and building mathematical models to answer questions about our data (both patient-generated self-reported data, as well as molecular omics data).
- Presenting analyses to clients (external and internal) and helping them understand/interpret results.
- Manage workflow (e.g. reviewing proposed projects, tracking workload and capacity, reviewing output)
- As the Manager of the team, you will have the additional responsibility of ensuring that the data science team is the best is can be – as individuals, as a unit, and integrating with work of other teams
As a company, we believe in getting people to work on what they enjoy and are good at (which is usually the same thing), so the above responsibilities will expand and change, based on our needs and your capabilities and interests. This is an exceptional opportunity to be on the leading edge of figuring out the best methods to integrate molecular omics data with patient-generated health data.
- You have a Ph.D or commensurate experience in an industry or industry-like setting, probably in a technical subject.
- At least 5 years’ experience managing technical people (data scientists and/or computational biologists).
- Experience in hiring or growing a team
- You have scaled research processes to institution level technology
- An analytical nature, and the experience that shows it. You’ve worked on analytical problems where the results matter in the real world.
- You’ve worked with complex data structures and understand how to make correct inferences from data (experience working with health data and/or omics data preferred).
- You know the tools of the trade. You probably have one or more of the following in your toolkit:
- SQL (PostgreSQL preferred)
- General-purpose programming language(s) (e.g. Ruby, Python, Perl)
- Numerical/statistical software package (e.g. R, MATLAB, SAS, SPSS).
- You must be local to our Cambridge office, or willing to relocate
PatientsLikeMe, the world’s largest personalized health network, helps people find new options for treatments, connect with others, and take action to improve their outcomes. The company has worked with every major pharmaceutical company and a range of government organizations to bring the patient voice to research, development and public policy. With 500,000 members, PatientsLikeMe is a trusted source for real-world disease information and a clinically robust resource that has published more than 100 research studies. PatientsLikeMe is now a central part of iCarbonX's Digital Life Alliance, which is working to combine biological and patient-generated data with artificial intelligence technology to more rapidly detect meaningful signals about health, disease and aging, deliver a personalized guide for living a healthy life, and help industry learn even more about how to improve outcomes, and lives.
Want to learn more about PatientsLikeMe? Visit PatientsLikeMe's website.
Jobs You May Like
Ground Truth Systems Engineer
Magic Leap, Inc., Sunnyvale, CA
Smule, San Francisco, CA
Compliance Analyst (AML/KYC Specialist)
Luno, Cape Town
Badoo, London, UK
Summer Intern, TV, Digital & Podcast Programming
First Look Media, New York, NY
Quality Assurance Analyst