Head of Communications
Patreon, San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York
A membership platform that makes it easy for artists and creators to get paid
Do you believe that creators should get paid for the value they give to their fans?
We do, which is why we're building Patreon, a platform that powers exclusive content and community experiences for creators with established followings. Patreon provides creators with the insight, education, and tools that make it possible to retain creative control while running their creative business, so creators can focus on creating and energizing their fanbases.
Our user base has doubled in the last year alone and we have paid over $2 billion directly to creators on our platform. In order to support this level of growth, Patreon is looking for a world-class Head of Communications who will work closely with our CEO, Jack Conte, and the rest of the core executive team to increase Patreon’s brand awareness and amplify the stories of our 200,000+ creators worldwide.
This proactive, collaborative individual should be a creative and innovative storyteller, who will explore both new and unique approaches to secure mainstream media coverage and solidify Patreon’s position as an industry-leading, creator-first platform. This role will oversee all communications efforts, including media relations, thought leadership, original content, social media, content policies and events.
The ideal candidate will have experience driving measurable results in a fast-paced, creative environment along with demonstrated success in managing teams and external agencies. It's critical for the Head of Comms to establish credibility at the executive level in order to drive forward key narratives - both internally and externally - at scale.
What you will do:
- Develop and lead our overall communications strategy, ensuring it is aligned with the company’s leadership and the needs of our creators.
- In collaboration with data science, product and the creator-facing teams at Patreon, develop engaging narratives surrounding new features, International expansion and key trends within the creative economy
- Work closely with CEO, Jack Conte, to identify and pursue the appropriate media outlets and speaking engagements to successfully showcase Patreon’s differentiation in the competitive landscape
- Story mine compelling and robust creator stories that portray their creative journeys on Patreon in an emotive and inspiring way, which can be socialized at scale both internally and externally
- In collaboration with outside agencies, lead a robust media relations function, delivering exceptional results by nurturing strong working relationships with lifestyle, creative, business, financial, technology, consumer, and trade media
- Support International expansion efforts by developing a communications strategy for each new region and executing with both speed and efficiency
- Leverage both earned and owned channels to ensure that Patreon is valued appropriately in the eyes of creators, employees, investors, the media, and influencers as an industry leader
- In collaboration with relevant stakeholders, respond proactively to key cultural moments in a creator-first and memorable manner
- Work closely with our trust & safety and legal teams to effectively manage and mitigate internal and external conversations involving content policy matters
- Optimize and advance the strategy and voice for all executive communications, including speaking engagements, media interviews, and internal communications
- Consult and advise executives and the Board on communications matters
- Continue to manage and cultivate a world-class communications team
Skills and experience you possess:
- Senior communications executive with at least 15+ years of work experience leading communications strategy in a creative, high-growth business and technology environment
- Foundational experience in journalism and media relations is desirable, as is the combination of PR agency and in-house leadership roles
- A deep understanding of the startup-to-public technology company journey and culture, and the challenges of evolving a narrative to keep pace with that change
- Experience with crisis communications and change management, and ability to maintain calm under fire
- 10+ years of people management experience, with the demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, and retain top talent
- Business development mindset where communications directly contributes to business objectives
- Exceptional writer and dynamic speaker with experience serving as spokesperson
- Entrepreneurial and a hands-on style with a strong bias for action and results while working effectively in an innovative, unstructured environment that values collaboration without ego
- Operates at a high level of intensity, acting with a sense of urgency without sacrificing excellence
Who you'll work with:
At Patreon, you'll join a high-performing and highly-empathetic team of people who proudly work on fulfilling our mission of funding the creative class. Our culture of creator-first, thoughtful teammates keeps work creative, stretching, and rewarding.
Our Core Behaviors
- Put Creators First. Patreon is nothing without our creators.
- Achieve Ambitious Outcomes. Set, measure, and accomplish goals that deliver massive value to our creators and patrons.
- Cultivate Inclusion. We want an environment that retains and engages the diverse teams we build.
- Bias Towards Action. When in doubt, we take the next best step, then course correct when needed. We go out of our way to fix problems when we see them. We take ownership seriously.
- Be Candid and Kind. Be extremely caring and extremely direct in all you do at Patreon, especially when it comes to giving positive and constructive feedback.
- Be Curious. You don’t know it all, and that’s the fun part. Everything gets better when you’re curious. Things get more interesting, more clear, and more approachable. When you bring curiosity into the workplace, you’re growing yourself, your teammates, and Patreon as a whole.
Want to learn more about Patreon?
Patreon is a membership platform that makes it easy for artists and creators to get paid. Thousands of musicians, podcasters, video game developers, comic creators, and others are making a salary on Patreon. Through ongoing funding, they are able to spend more time engaging their fan-base in an interactive way and continue to populate the internet with beautiful things that millions of people enjoy
Want to learn more about Patreon? Visit Patreon's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.