Technical Product Manager
PEAK6, Irvine, CA
Redefining what it means to be an investment firm PEAK6
We are looking for a technical, entrepreneurial-minded product visionary to help us create solutions that modernize the traditional financial services industry. You will roadmap and execute on an exciting new platform that will simplify, automate and facilitate access to financial markets alongside experienced technologists and industry SMEs.
The role is for someone who is customer-obsessed and keen on applying modern technology to replace monolithic and hard-to-access incumbent systems. Along the way you learn about the problem space and re-imagine the solution. This person will define, sell, and communicate the product vision; define and prioritize requirements, drive alignment around product initiatives, produce go-to-market plans and execute with high-performing teams.
This is an opportunity to join a fast-paced team with the urgency of a startup and expertise of an established organization. We are a flat organization which will afford you the ability to gain access to personnel and resources necessary to execute on your product vision. Peak 6 is a privately-held organization focused on delivering long-term value rather than short-term gains. This translates to a focus on bringing solutions for an industry and not bespoke products. Due to the space we innovate in, your products will process billions of transactions per day, in real-time, and power both startup and established industry participants.
You will report to the VP of Product Management working closely with the engineering team and across the organization.
This role can be based out of Irvine, Portland, or Dallas
- Envision, communicate, and drive the product's go-to-market strategy
- Create and maintain product visions and roadmaps
- Frequently engage with internal and external customers to identify pain points, needs, and opportunities
- Regularly evaluate product-market fit and maintain the living product roadmaps
- Calculate cost-of-delay for all proposed initiatives
- Evangelize product vision internally and externally
- Communicate the product vision across the organization
- Engage with Marketing, Design, and Engineering teams to design, build, and deploy solutions
- Develop user stories, map features and user flows, and define acceptance criteria
- Maintain a shovel-ready backlog for technical resources
- Provide functional domain expertise in the business process areas of responsibility
- Partner with Engineering to refine scope and ideal implementation method with given constraints and tradeoffs
- Provide continual feedback on resources requirements
- Document product functionality and train internal teams
- Conduct internal and external usability testing, training, on features and products
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other math, science, or engineering discipline, or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years product management experience
- Experience with SCRUM/Agile development
- Experience building cross platform SAAS products: mobile, web, and tablet preferably in time-critical applications
- Proven track record of leading functional groups, defining, documenting, delivering and measuring value
- High level knowledge of application architecture including concepts of authentication, web server, database servers, task servers, firewalls, monitoring systems, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve strategic goals in an innovative and fast-paced environment with uncertain variables
- Experience in the financial services industry, experience in back office applications and processing a plus
The PEAK6 Difference Located in the historic Chicago Board of Trade Building, PEAK6 is redefining what it means to be an investment firm. We’re driven to see solutions others don’t—and capitalize on opportunities others miss. We operate with a focused, entrepreneurial drive and push ourselves to think differently. This ambitious, visionary approach has helped us become the diverse range of successful businesses we are today, which include investments and businesses across a range of industries. Founded on a great idea PEAK6 Investments, L.P. was created from the same ambitious, entrepreneurial culture that thrives in the firm today. Co-founders Matt Hulsizer and Jenny Just started their careers at O’Connor and Associates — a Chicago-based options trading firm with a particular specialty, and emphasis, on financial derivatives. In 1992, the firm was acquired by Swiss Bank Corporation. After the acquisition, Swiss Bank decided to head in a new direction. Entrepreneurs at heart, Matt and Jenny wanted to bring a different vision to life and decided to launch their own firm. And in 1997, PEAK6 Investments was launched. PEAK6 Investments became one of the first firms to develop sophisticated, proprietary technology, which more efficiently manages risk in the options market. This disciplined focus on risk management and technology has helped us achieve significant success in managing risk and making markets. From this singular focus, the firm continued to innovate, growing PEAK6 into a diverse group of thriving, successful businesses that now span many areas of the financial services sector. Why the name “PEAK6”? Not surprisingly, the story behind the PEAK6 name began in the mountains. Matt was in Breckenridge, Colorado and inspiration struck. He recalled someone once telling him it takes 6 peaks to make a mountain range. He was drawn to this notion of peaks and how they can stand alone and/or work together to form something even more powerful. This perfectly represented the vision for the new firm. And with that, the PEAK6 name took hold. Interestingly, the peak that Matt used as inspiration for our name so many years ago opened to the public in 2013. They named it Peak6. And no — we had nothing to do with it. It’s just fate working its magic.