Senior Software Engineer (Core API Team)
Peloton, NY HQ
High-energy group fitness in your living room
Power the Peloton Experience
As a member of Peloton’s Engagement API team you’ll be the one powering every user experience across Bike, Tread, mobile, web, and TV in four different countries. We help users take live and on-demand classes, send each other high-fives, compete on the leaderboard, take part in challenges, discover new music, and much more. We are building an API that changes people’s lives.
We are looking for collaborative engineers who have expertise in microservices. You'll help guide our efforts in building services for our backend API. You will work with the team to break out services relevant to our expanding business domains and produce high quality, reliable software for our internal and external users.
You are someone who thinks about simplicity, and works to provide solutions that reduce the complexity across services. You are team-focused and prioritize collective learning in addition to solving problems. You build collective ownership amongst the team by contributing to code reviews, designs, whiteboarding, and pair-programming.
In your first weeks, you’ll learn about our API start to familiarize yourself with some of the challenges that we are facing. You'll contribute to our existing efforts to build a service-oriented architecture and split out services from the monolithic application.
In the following months you'll start contributing to major features and evaluate how they can fit into a service-oriented architecture. You'll help make the tough decisions around migrating code and databases, and transition traffic from our monolith to our new services and ensure their success. Finally, you'll help educate new team members and promote ways to improve quality across all our services.
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- Strong understanding of RDBMS, specifically Postgres
- Strong understanding of database optimizations, operations, and management
- Understanding of interactions of databases in a microservice world, specifically with respect to complex service interactions
- Understanding of complex, scalable N:N data models
- Strong fundamentals in microservice architecture and understanding of
- Options for complex joins across multiple services
- Pros/cons of monolithic vs. service architectures
- Mainstream service protocols
- Both stateful and stateless service architecture
- Experience with monolith to service migrations
- Experience with a non-RDBMS databases (DynamoDB, ElasticSearch)
- Experience with data modeling across different services
- Building, testing, deploying, and monitoring services
- Understand HTTP, TCP, SSL in API and client contexts
- Advocate a test-driven mentality
- Experience developing with Python or other object-oriented languages
- Experience writing APIs for client applications (web, mobile, TV, hardware)
- Migrating monolithic applications into smaller services
- RPC design
- Event based architecture
- AWS technology
- Java or Kotlin
Please note: This is a full-time position that will be remote initially (due to COVID-19) and based in our New York City HQ once safe to re-open the office.
Peloton is the largest interactive fitness platform in the world with a loyal community of more than 2.6 million Members. The company pioneered connected, technology-enabled fitness, and the streaming of immersive, instructor-led boutique classes for its Members anytime, anywhere. Peloton makes fitness entertaining, approachable, effective, and convenient, while fostering social connections that encourage its Members to be the best versions of themselves. An innovator at the nexus of fitness, technology, and media, Peloton has reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform that seamlessly combines the best equipment, proprietary networked software, and world-class streaming digital fitness and wellness content, creating a product that its Members love. The brand's immersive content is accessible through the Peloton Bike, Peloton Tread, and Peloton App, which allows access to a full slate of fitness classes across disciplines, on any iOS or Android device, Fire TV, Roku, Chromecast and Android TV. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in New York City, Peloton has a growing number of retail showrooms across the US, UK, Canada and Germany. For more information, visit www.onepeloton.com.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Be a Better Peloton Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Peloton when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Peloton? Visit Peloton's website.
File hosting service