Staff Engineer, Data Infrastructure
Peloton, New York, NY
High-energy group fitness in your living room
Open to hire New York, NY - Bay Area, CA - Remote, USA
At Peloton, we treat Data as Product - a valuable asset and a critical piece of our decision making process. The mission of the Data Infrastructure team under the Data Platform department is to provide and maintain a centralized set of core data infrastructure, tools and standards that empowers and enables decentralized teams to accelerate their ability to safely use data to generate actionable insights and product features. Our core guiding principles are 1) enable data as a product 2) ensure data reliability and 3)optimize for data productivity.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join our Data Infrastructure team under the Data Platform department to own and provide technical expertise and leadership around core data systems and tools that serve as the building blocks of our shared data infrastructure. As a part of the Data Infrastructure team, you will be working across a wide range of problems in the data ingestion, data compute, data transport, orchestration and interoperability areas. Some of the few challenges you will work on in your first year are: How do we build a common multi-region transport layer that powers the event-driven architecture at Peloton? How do we build a golden pipeline and framework for teams to ingest and expose their data to other teams? How do we build a multi-tenant batteries-included orchestration tool that can be used by teams? What are the compute frameworks we should standardize on for batch and streaming processing? How do we build DSL driven compute frameworks for data engineering teams to adopt across the company?
- Adopt and evangelize data mesh principles and event-driven architecture across decentralized product teams and promote the principle of data as a product.
- Be a key technical leader and owner of multiple workstreams under Data Infrastructure viz. Change Data Capture, Data Compute Frameworks, Data Modeling, Schemas & Serialization, Data Pipelining & Orchestration, Data Storage, Data Transport & Interoperability, Developer Portal
- Represent the data infrastructure team where deep knowledge of our data stack is needed - Working Groups, cross-functional work streams and Special Interest Groups
- Focus on improving developer productivity, usability, reliability and adoption of core data infrastructure and tools through fast prototyping and feedback, ensuring that the right tool is being built for domain teams.
- Review code and provide feedback to ensure it is high quality, efficient, well-tested and documented.
- Coach and mentor engineers across the engineering team to build a data culture.
- You have 10+ years of experience in engineering especially data infrastructure and tools
- You have experience in a cloud environment like AWS and familiarity with tools like Kubernetes, Kafka, Airflow, Glue, Athena and Data Lake Formation.
- You are passionate about event-driven architecture, microservices , data reliability and quality. You have experience with Python or Scala and experience working on large distributed systems and frameworks like Spark/ Flink.
- Proven experience working with rapid product development in an agile environment is preferred
- You are pragmatic without compromising on software quality and standards.
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Be a Better Peloton Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Peloton when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Peloton? Visit Peloton's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.