Staff Software Engineer, Backend, Database Engineering
Peloton, New York, NY
High-energy group fitness in your living room
We are looking for engaged and passionate Software Engineers to join our Database Engineering team. We enable developers to move quickly and innovate by providing the foundation upon which developers build the Peloton experience.
Our team's mission is to provide databases as a service and to guide and support development in the database layer. We work heavily with postgres and dynamoDB but are expanding the number and types of datastores as Peloton grows. We work closely with service owners on architecture and scalability of their services and have an opportunity to work with new projects and initiatives. We engage with peers and internal customers to understand workloads and design, build and operate services and tools to provide a great user experience for engineers.
What you’ll do
- Be a hands-on leader with focus on delivery of small to large initiatives including guiding the team to make strategic technical decisions to enable delivery outcomes, set expectations with and maintain relationships with key stakeholders
- Be directly responsible for maintaining and scaling our datastore layer in coordination with service owners to power a world-class fitness experience.
- Lead architecture meetings and technical discussions with the focus of reaching consensus and best practice solutions
- Lead, coach, and mentor other engineers of diverse backgrounds in an autonomous, cross-functional team.
- Design, develop and operate business-critical backend systems with a focus on high availability, low latency and scalability.
- Implement self-service tooling and enhance the developer experience around databases as a service.We're using industry-standard, cloud-native tech, which means easily transferable skills.
- Deliver high quality outcomes across our engineering organization.
What You’ll Need
- Demonstrated ability and maturity in your software engineering practice, with strong experience in practices like continuous delivery and automated testing..
- Ability to work collaboratively with your team and with customers and the ability to demonstrate empathy for their concerns.
- Experience in designing, building and maintaining automation and developer tooling around distributed systems and databases.
- You have a systematic problem-solving approach coupled with effective communication skills and drive.
- You are able to apply your knowledge and experience in both structured and unstructured DB technologies to help improve our database offering.
- Github project(s) or contribute to open source communities
- Hands on experience decomposing monoliths into microservices
- Hands-on experience designing and building event-driven architectures
- Experience with XP practices such as pair programming and Test Driven Development
Peloton uses technology + design to connect the world through fitness, empowering people to be the best version of themselves anywhere, anytime. We have reinvented the fitness industry by developing a first-of-its-kind subscription platform. Seamlessly combining hardware, software, and streaming technology, we create digital fitness and wellness content and products that Members love. In 2020 Peloton committed to becoming an antiracist organization with the launch of the Peloton Pledge. Learn more, here.
Peloton is an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all of our applicants. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. If you would like to request any accommodations from application through to interview, please email: [email protected]
Please be aware that fictitious job openings, consulting engagements, solicitations, or employment offers may be circulated on the Internet in an attempt to obtain privileged information, or to induce you to pay a fee for services related to recruitment or training. Peloton does NOT charge any application, processing, or training fee at any stage of the recruitment or hiring process. All genuine job openings will be posted here on our careers page and all communications from the Peloton recruiting team and/or hiring managers will be from an @onepeloton.com email address.
If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, letter or telephone communication purportedly from, for, or on behalf of Peloton, please email [email protected] before taking any further action in relation to the correspondence.
Peloton does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Agencies should not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Peloton employees or any other organization location. Peloton is not responsible for any agency fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Founded in 2012, Peloton is a global interactive fitness platform that brings the energy and benefits of studio-style workouts to the convenience and comfort of home. We use technology and design to bring our Members immersive content through the Peloton Bike, the Peloton Tread, and Peloton Digital, which provide comprehensive, socially-connected fitness offerings anytime, anywhere. We believe in taking risks and challenging the status quo by continuously innovating and improving. Our team is made up of passionate brand ambassadors, and we know that together, we go far.
Be a Better Peloton Candidate
Learn skills and get an insider's look at Peloton when you watch classes taught by their top employees.
Want to learn more about Peloton? Visit Peloton's website.
Reddit is an American social news aggregation, web content rating, and discussion website.