At Periscope Data, engineers work the whole stack - from shipping UI to optimizing the billions of rows in the data cache.
We're constantly making the SQL faster and the charting more powerful. You'll be working on the full stack: from the Go and Java servers managing giant database clusters to the Rails and React frontends.
- First day: you'll ship new code to production.
- First week: you'll build at least one customer-facing feature.
- First month: you'll write code at every level of the stack, from cache backends to web servers to UI code.
- First 6 months: you'll rebuild a major piece of the Periscope stack to support our ever-increasing scale.
- You write clean code. You have loads of evidence of all the code you write and ship.
- You have experience with distributed systems and microservices. You know how to scale systems as well as identify and resolve performance bottlenecks.
- You believe strongly that shipping is a feature. You're comfortable with tradeoffs. You understand instinctively that today >> tomorrow.
- You have at least a hobbyist-level relationship with data. You find that moment when a datapoint makes you say "hmmm..." to be delightful.
- You're excited to pitch in wherever the team needs help, from writing blog posts to supporting customers.
About Periscope Data:
- We're a passionate, venture-funded team with more than 1000 customers, including Adobe, Flexport, EY, Uber, ZipRecruiter, Fender, Meredith, & Tinder.
- We are onboarding rapidly! We’ve grown our team 291% over the last two years.
- We believe strongly in a data-driven approach to all that we do. We're constantly measuring and optimizing everything about the business.
- We have close relationships with our customers. We see customers several times a month, and email with them several times a week.
- We’ve been recognized by Comparably, Glassdoor, Bay Area News Group and SF Business Times for our amazing company culture.
- Our product is very sticky. Users spend ~20 hours per week doing technical analysis on our platform.
- We have super high customer retention — better than best in class SaaS companies.
- We provide free lunch every day and cover healthcare for all of our employees.
- We’ve recently moved into our new global headquarters, a newly renovated building in SOMA customized to our unique needs.
- Speeding up metrics calculations by over 10,000X by implementing them as parallel bitwise operations on bitsets.
- Improving chart render speed by over 100X by reimplementing on top of Canvas instead of SVG.
- Auto-ETLing entire customer databases into our data cache while targeting < 1hr freshness on all customer data.
- Implementing cross-database query translation and cross-database joins.
- We want to know what it's like to work together; there are never any riddles or whiteboards.
- First you'll see Periscope and how customers use it. Later we'll code together online, or review your solution to an offline code challenge. And when you come on site to meet the team, you'll spend a couple hours pair programming in the Periscope codebase.
Periscope's most important feature is our phenomenal development speed. We deploy to production an average of 5 times per day. Much of this is cultural, and much of it is investing in anything that will reduce drag on the team, like fully automated testing, one-click test-and-deploys, as well as comprehensive monitoring and alerting.
We plan to double our team in the next six months. If you learn quickly and have that get-stuff-done attitude, we'd love to talk to you!
About Periscope Data
Periscope Data brings data teams and their stakeholders onto a single, unified platform. Our platform gives data professionals full control over the analytics lifecycle — including ingestion, storage, analysis, visualization and reporting — and non-technical users the ability to drill down into the data to quickly answer questions. With Periscope Data, teams can move faster, make better decisions, and support successful business outcomes. We’re here to create a more data-driven world, where everyone can understand and unlock the full potential of their data.
Want to learn more about Periscope Data? Visit Periscope Data's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer, Fullstack
Knewton, New York, NY
UI/ Front End Engineer
Merrill, London (GBR)
Machine Learning Engineer (remote)
BetterUp, Anywhere in the US
Software Engineer, Data Applications, Experiences
Airbnb, San Francisco, United States
Senior Software Engineer
Instacart, San Francisco