Software Engineer, Tools and Infrastructure
Periscope Data, San Francisco
We Help Data Teams Do More
At Periscope Data, engineers work the whole stack - from shipping UI to optimizing the billions of rows in the data cache. As a Software Engineer, Tools and Infrastructure, you will build and enhance internal tools that empower the engineering teams to develop and deliver high quality software quickly. Responsibilities include release management as well as ownership of our CI (Continuous Integration) and deployment pipeline. You will also help drive all aspects of product testing including definition, implementation and validation of both functional and non-functional tests.
- First week: You'll learn about our product and build/deployment process and ship new code to production.
- By Day 30: You'll build and make substantial improvements to our internal tools.
- By Day 60: You'll establish a smooth Continuous Integration, Deployment and Release Management process.
- By Day 90: Engineers are excited about how feature velocity, site stability and quality have all increased due to the processes and tools that you've introduced! :)
- You have solved complex technical challenges to improve developer productivity, efficiency and velocity
- You have designed and built advanced automated build, test and release infrastructure
- You have successfully evangelized and driven best practices related to code quality and testability across teams
- You have at least a hobbyist-level relationship with data. You find that moment when a datapoint makes you say "hmmm..." to be delightful.
- You're excited to pitch in wherever the team needs help, from writing blog posts to supporting customers.
About Periscope Data:
- We're a passionate, venture-funded team with more than 1000 customers, including Adobe, Flexport, EY, Uber, ZipRecruiter, Fender, Meredith, & Tinder.
- We are onboarding rapidly! We’ve grown our team 291% over the last two years.
- We believe strongly in a data-driven approach to all that we do. We're constantly measuring and optimizing everything about the business.
- We have close relationships with our customers. We see customers several times a month, and email with them several times a week.
- We’ve been recognized by Comparably, Glassdoor, Bay Area News Group and SF Business Times for our amazing company culture.
- Our product is very sticky. Users spend ~20 hours per week doing technical analysis on our platform.
- We have super high customer retention — better than best in class SaaS companies.
- We provide free lunch every day and cover healthcare for all of our employees.
- We’ve recently moved into our new global headquarters, a newly renovated building in SOMA customized to our unique needs.
- Speeding up metrics calculations by over 10,000X by implementing them as parallel bitwise operations on bitsets.
- Improving chart render speed by over 100X by reimplementing on top of Canvas instead of SVG.
- Auto-ETLing entire customer databases into our data cache while targeting < 1hr freshness on all customer data.
- Implementing cross-database query translation and cross-database joins.
- We want to know what it's like to work together; there are never any riddles.
- First you'll see Periscope and how customers use it. Later we'll code together online, or review your solution to an offline code challenge.
Periscope's most important feature is our phenomenal development speed. We deploy to production an average of 5 times per day. Much of this is cultural, and much of it is investing in anything that will reduce drag on the team, like fully automated testing, one-click test-and-deploys, as well as comprehensive monitoring and alerting.
We plan to double our team in the next six months. If you learn quickly and have that get-stuff-done attitude, we'd love to talk to you!
About Periscope Data
Periscope Data brings data teams and their stakeholders onto a single, unified platform. Our platform gives data professionals full control over the analytics lifecycle — including ingestion, storage, analysis, visualization and reporting — and non-technical users the ability to drill down into the data to quickly answer questions. With Periscope Data, teams can move faster, make better decisions, and support successful business outcomes. We’re here to create a more data-driven world, where everyone can understand and unlock the full potential of their data.
Want to learn more about Periscope Data? Visit Periscope Data's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Ruby/Rails Engineer
TaskRabbit, San Francisco
Senior Backend Engineer
Senior Software Engineer
HONK, Los Angeles
Lead Data Engineer
ThoughtWorks, San Francisco
Lead Consultant - Application Development
Software Engineer, Systems
Essential Products, Palo Alto, CA