Senior Technical Writer - Cloud Foundry
Pivotal Software, Toronto
At Pivotal, Silicon Valley is a State of Mind
Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile and lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. Our cloud-native platform and suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the world’s most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. We optimize for change and teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions, and are committed to open source and open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project, and are guided by a purposeful mission—to transform how the world builds software.
You love explaining how technology works. You believe that the word "technical" appears first in the title "technical writer" for a reason, yet you have a deep love of language. Your prose is snappy; you don't succumb to the temptation to add unnecessary flourishes. You have strong technical skills and love learning new technologies. Your bookshelf contains an equal mix of human language and computer language books.
You know that with complex systems, good documentation makes the difference between users floundering and users succeeding wildly. However, you judge your success by the overall success of your team.
At Pivotal Cloud Foundry we transform how the world deploys and scales software, and we are opinionated about how software should be built. We work hard to deliver platform capabilities so customers can accelerate their time to market for software solutions. Our engineers pair program, all-day every day, because we know it delivers remarkable results. They also work in small teams, and rotate between them frequently so that they are able to meet everyone in the organization.
- Write, review, and edit technical documentation in collaboration with other writers
- Help ensure technical accuracy and writing quality, readability, and consistency across all our documentation
- Support a culture of continuous process improvement
- Curate, prioritize, and manage a backlog of documentation user stories
Desired Skills/ Experience
- Experience writing documentation for complex technical products. (You know how to explain the contents of a huge configuration file in such a way that a system operator sees configuration as a tractable task.)
- Facility with the UNIX operating system. (You know how to tell what processes are running and how to list hidden dot files. You are comfortable in a UNIX shell.)
- Knowledge of markdown or other markup languages that allow you to create documentation in flat text files. (You understand why flat text files are preferable for technical documentation because you have experience using source control to manage docs.)
- Some hands-on experience with web development technologies and frameworks. You can read code and sometimes even write it.
- Ability to dive into a complex distributed system and contribute while learning.
- BA/BS in a related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience
Total Rewards Package
Pay Range: 72,250 - 97,750
In addition to salary, our total rewards package also includes equity in the form of RSUs, comprehensive medical and disability benefits, employer match on RRSP, fitness reimbursement programs and more!
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY GPVTL Canada In (“Pivotal”) is an equal opportunity employer who recognizes the value of every individual in creating success for our customers, business partners, shareholders, employees and communities. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing and promoting employees without discrimination. Pivotal believes equal opportunity and inclusion are essential to motivate, empower and recognize the best in everyone.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES Pivotal is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Pivotal will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please email [email protected] or call 416-907-9470 ensure to provide your name, the best way to contact you, a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require (including any materials or processes that can be used to ensure your equal participation).
About Pivotal Software
About us Pivotal transforms how the world builds software. Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. We enable the leading companies in the world to innovate by employing an approach focused on building software. Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our team uses agile and lean approaches to teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions. We optimize for change so enterprises can move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. Recent updateSee all See all recent updates