Sr. Software Engineer (Internal Products & Services)
Pivotal Software, San Francisco, California , Toronto, Ontario
At Pivotal, Silicon Valley is a State of Mind
San Francisco, California / Toronto, Ontario
Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile and lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. Our cloud-native platform and suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the world’s most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. We optimize for change and teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions, and are committed to open source and open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project, and guide ourselves by a purposeful mission—to transform how the world builds software.
You are passionate about creating products that solve problems for users and their businesses. You’re willing to shut down or let go of solutions that no longer solve the problems of your users and their businesses.
You have a passion for high-quality, reliable, and maintainable code. You’re comfortable working side by side with product managers, designers, and clients, making decisions together in order to quickly deliver valuable working software our users. You’re agile and retrospective, and not afraid to identify what we’re doing wrong so we can fix it, and what we're doing right so we can improve on it.
You’re committed to continuous learning and you actively work to hone your craft. You understand the importance of receiving and giving feedback. You understand that delivering “good” consistently and sustainably is better than working in fits and spurts. Work/life balance is important to you and is something you’ll be an advocate for.
The Internal Products and Services Team enables Pivotal to solve problems that are limiting the success of the company’s business. We provide technology, systems, and solutions to allow our employees to work faster, better, and smarter all around the globe. We are a software team, but we’re also committed to advocating for the best solution, whether that means implementing or building software. We strive for agility, transparency, and transformation in our encounters, while ensuring data responsibility and security are top of mind in every process and interaction.
The majority of your time will be spent pair programming with the developers on your product team. You’ll also be collaborating with other developers, product designers, product managers, and Pivots in all functions across the company to identify problems, prioritize them, and validate whether they can and should be solved with software. And we believe in working at a sustainable pace – you’ll typically work hard for 8 hours each day, but then you’re off to relax, recharge, and refocus.
Required Skills / Experiences
- 8+ years experience in a software development or similar role
- Experience in a modern object-oriented language (we’re liking Kotlin these days)
- Experience building full-stack modern web applications
- Experience with relational database systems (we currently use MySQL and Postgres)
- Experience guiding and mentoring teams through technical and architectural decisions
- Experience troubleshooting production problems
- Believes in the merits of XP - pair programming, test-driven development, and collective ownership
- Eager to learn from and share knowledge with others
- Enjoys analyzing complex problems to find simple solutions
- Excited to work closely with product, design, and users with empathy and kindness
Desired Skills / Experiences
- Experience with test-driven development and agile methodologies
- Experience giving and receiving actionable, specific, and kind feedback with others
- Experience providing leadership and collaborating across disciplines within a team
- Knowledge or experience with cloud providers and infrastructure as a service
- Knowledge or experience with building and deploying enterprise or cloud scale applications
- Interested in exploring code design and architecture
About Pivotal Software
About us Pivotal transforms how the world builds software. Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. We enable the leading companies in the world to innovate by employing an approach focused on building software. Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our team uses agile and lean approaches to teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions. We optimize for change so enterprises can move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. Recent updateSee all See all recent updates