Pivotal Labs Engineering Manager
Pivotal Software, Toronto, Ontario
At Pivotal, Silicon Valley is a State of Mind
Pivotal’s Story - VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile and lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. Our cloud-native platform and suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the world’s most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. We optimize for change and teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions, and are committed to open source and open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project, and are guided by a purposeful mission—to transform how the world builds software.
You’re comfortable working side by side with software developers. product managers, designers, and clients, making decisions together in order to quickly deliver valuable working software to clients and their users. You’re agile and retrospective, and not afraid to identify what we’re doing wrong so we can fix it, and what we're doing right so we can improve on it. Above all, you judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of our customers.
Pivotal Labs is Pivotal's consulting team, and a recognized leader in modern software development practices. We work with many of the world’s most influential companies, helping them not only build great software, but fundamentally create a culture of innovation. We also developed Pivotal Tracker, the project management and collaboration tool used by thousands of agile teams worldwide. Our approach is informed by over 20 years of experience and continuous improvement, and blends agile/XP, lean startup and user-centered design.
You will mentor and guide the professional development of assigned Software Engineers, while also working closely with clients on a daily basis. Management of staff includes, but is not limited to coaching and feedback, performance evaluation, and compensation review. Work performed with clients includes scoping new work, participating in new project inception meetings, executing iteratively and transparently on product development efforts, and enabling client personnel to adopt practices central to Pivotal’s agile methodology.
This position is highly collaborative, with multiple simultaneous tasks to manage and follow through on in parallel with industry-leading agile delivery of client projects and must seamlessly shift between managing Pivots to performing as an individual contributor as required. The incumbent must be able to respond quickly and professionally to unanticipated events while effectively managing existing workload. The incumbent is expected to rely upon their own knowledge and experience to make decisions that affect their assigned teams and projects, with some guidance and support from their manager (either the Office Director or an Associate Director). Meetings include regular one-on-ones with team members and regularly scheduled meetings with other Managers, Directors, HR Business Partners, and the regional VP of Engineering.
This is a full-time managerial position, onsite in our Pivotal Labs Toronto location. Some travel may be required occasionally.
- Mentor and be responsible for the professional development of direct reports.
- Demonstrate hands-on leadership on projects while empowering both client and Pivotal teammates to become leaders themselves.
- Balance individual contributor job duties with managerial responsibilities.
- Facilitate coaching in the areas of development, product management, and product design.
- Hold regular one-on-ones with reports for updates, feedback, coaching, and mentoring.
- Maintain contact with project leaders to discover and address issues as early as possible.
- Monitor and audit team members’ accurate time entry.
- Run scoping sessions with potential clients.
- Assist with project inceptions, eventually assuming the role of inception facilitator.
- Assist in managing the office operations, including staffing and project problems, with guidance from the Associate Director(s), Office Director, HR Business Partners and/or regional Pivotal Labs VP.
Required Skills / Experience
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer, including various client-facing roles.
- 3+ years previous management experience required
- Consulting background required
- Experience with agile techniques, extreme programming, user-centered design, product management, and a track record of helping others improve in these practices
- BA/BS in relevant field of study
- Understand the differences between Scrum and Extreme Programming
- Demonstrated knowledge of web and/or mobile software development; ability to advise clients on feature epics, fine-grained user story breakdown and prioritization
- Ability to analyze a set of high-level requirements and determine incremental ways to make demonstrable, iterative progress
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical individuals; the ability to listen, articulate ideas and advocate best practice solutions in both one-on-one and group settings, in both verbal and written form
- Demonstrated ability to work in a highly collaborative environment.
Desired Skills / Experience
- Detail-oriented with proven ability to prioritize and manage workload to meet critical project deadlines
- Ability to see things through to successful completion, delegating where appropriate
- Strong time, project and people management skills with ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to adapt by picking up new programming languages/techniques/team dynamics
Total Rewards Package
Pay Range: 93,500 - 126,500 CAD
In addition to salary, our total rewards package also includes equity in the form of RSUs, comprehensive medical and disability benefits, employer match on RRSP, fitness reimbursement programs and more!
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY GPVTL Canada In (“Pivotal”) is an equal opportunity employer who recognizes the value of every individual in creating success for our customers, business partners, shareholders, employees and communities. We are committed to recruiting, hiring, developing and promoting employees without discrimination. Pivotal believes equal opportunity and inclusion are essential to motivate, empower and recognize the best in everyone.
ACCESSIBILITY FOR APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES Pivotal is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, Pivotal will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment and selection process to applicants with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please email [email protected] or call 416-907-9470 ensure to provide your name, the best way to contact you, a detailed description of the nature of any accommodation that you may require (including any materials or processes that can be used to ensure your equal participation).
About Pivotal Software
About us Pivotal transforms how the world builds software. Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. We enable the leading companies in the world to innovate by employing an approach focused on building software. Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our team uses agile and lean approaches to teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions. We optimize for change so enterprises can move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. Recent updateSee all See all recent updates