Technical Writer - Cloud Foundry
Pivotal Software, New York, New York
At Pivotal, Silicon Valley is a State of Mind
Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile and lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. Our cloud-native platform and suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the world’s most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. We optimize for change and teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions, and are committed to open source and open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project, and are guided by a purposeful mission—to transform how the world builds software.
You love explaining how technology works. You believe that the word "technical" appears first in the title "technical writer" for a reason, yet you have a deep love of language. Your prose is snappy; you don't succumb to the temptation to add unnecessary flourishes. You have strong technical skills and love learning new technologies. Your bookshelf contains an equal mix of human language and computer language books.
You know that with complex systems, good documentation makes the difference between users floundering and users succeeding wildly. However, you judge your success by the overall success of your team.
At Pivotal Cloud Foundry we transform how the world deploys and scales software, and we are opinionated about how software should be built. We work hard to deliver platform capabilities so customers can accelerate their time to market for software solutions. Our engineers pair program, all-day every day, because we know it delivers remarkable results. They also work in small teams, and rotate between them frequently so that they are able to meet everyone in the organization.
- Write, review, and edit technical documentation in collaboration with other writers
- Help ensure technical accuracy and writing quality, readability, and consistency across all our documentation
- Support a culture of continuous process improvement
- Curate, prioritize, and manage a backlog of documentation user stories
Desired Skills / Experiences
- Experience writing documentation for complex technical products. (You know how to explain the contents of a huge configuration file in such a way that a system operator sees configuration as a tractable task.)
- Facility with the UNIX operating system. (You know how to tell what processes are running and how to list hidden dot files. You are comfortable in a UNIX shell.)
- Knowledge of markdown or other markup languages that allow you to create documentation in flat text files. (You understand why flat text files are preferable for technical documentation because you have experience using source control to manage docs.)
- Some hands-on experience with web development technologies and frameworks. You can read code and sometimes even write it.
- Ability to dive into a complex distributed system and contribute while learning.
- BA/BS in a related field, or equivalent experience.
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
About Pivotal Software
About us Pivotal transforms how the world builds software. Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. We enable the leading companies in the world to innovate by employing an approach focused on building software. Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our team uses agile and lean approaches to teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions. We optimize for change so enterprises can move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. Recent updateSee all See all recent updates
Want to learn more about Pivotal Software? Visit Pivotal Software's website.
Jobs You May Like
Hadoop Infrastructure Engineer
Foursquare, Chicago, New York, San Francisco
Carbon, Redwood City
Software Engineer - Data Team
Bloomon, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Fullstack Developer (Berlin)
Issuu, Berlin, Germany
Software Engineer (Seattle)
Airbnb, Seattle, United States
Senior Front End Developer (Marketing), Shopify Plus
Shopify, Waterloo, Canada