Software Engineer - Pivotal Container Service (PKS)
Pivotal Software, Palo Alto, CA
At Pivotal, Silicon Valley is a State of Mind
Pivotal’s Story VIDEO
At Pivotal we believe in something audacious: the world can — and ought to — build software better. We envision a world where engineers experience meaningful and challenging work, collaborating in an atmosphere of kindness and trust with a diverse set of teammates, developing at a sustainable pace that allows them to go fast forever. The workplace should enable teams to be quick and productive, always learning, and always improving.
The world’s most established companies run on Pivotal. The results are transformational. Through adoption of our platform, tools, and methodology, these companies have unleashed innovation and reduced time-to-market. In addition to all of this, we've made their engineers’ experience better.
We are looking for engineers who want to make a lasting impact on our enterprise grade Kubernetes offering, Pivotal Container Service, also known as PKS.
You are looking for a collaborative environment building cloud-native distributed systems that enable enterprises to focus on their business rather than re-architecting a cloud platform from scratch. You believe in relentless automation to simplify operating inherently complex things.
You are a polyglot who loves learning new programming languages and systems. Furthering your education has always been a goal of yours. Pair programming is either something you enjoy, or something that you wanted to try out. Even if you have not yet worked with Kubernetes, you find deployment, provisioning, and containerization technologies fascinating.
Agile concepts are at the core of our process. We have a whole host of Pivotal Practices around Test Driven Development, pair programming, team retrospectives, technical retrospectives and continuous integration. We are excited to teach these to you and innovate with you on their implementation.
We believe in sustainable pace, so we work 8 hour days, maintaining core hours to support collaboration. Although on-call rotations are part of most teams, incidents are exceedingly rare.
We pair in small teams of 4 - 8 people in our Palo Alto office, located in the hills near the Stanford campus. We prefer to be co-located but when we do work with team members in other locations we use Slack to stay connected and screen sharing for pairing. We work hard to ensure that our distributed teams function as smoothly as our distributed systems.
Making an investment in each Pivot’s professional development improves the organization as a whole. We encourage you to go to conferences, take classes, and read books -- and we’ll give you a budget each year to do it.
- Engage fully with your team
- Develop and release new features and functionality for Pivotal’s enterprise grade Kubernetes offering, PKS
- Contribute to a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Troubleshoot production problems
- Solve customer problems through close collaboration with a diverse product team
- Participate in on-call rotations (if called, we will make sure you have adequate recovery time)
Desired Skills / Experience
- We know from experience that not ticking every box on the skills sections stops many from applying. You should apply regardless of your self-assessment because we want to hear from you.
- Professional software development experience with at least one object oriented language like Go, Java, or Ruby
- You know your way around CI/CD platforms and tools
- Ability to dive into a large polyglot codebase and contribute as you learn
- Demonstrable ability to research problems and break them into discrete parts
- Ability to ramp-up quickly and contribute to a production codebase
- Demonstrated mentor and technical team leader in a professional software team
- Being okay with the uncomfortable feeling that comes from learning new things
Nice to Haves
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field
- Skilled at drawing on your technical domain knowledge, design patterns, and experience to build maintainable software
- Ability to mentor others in a professional setting
- Operations or Systems Administration experience, particularly on UNIX
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, or cloud deployment technologies
- Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Worked in a pair programming environment
- Contributed to an open source project
- On-call experience with production grade systems
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
For San Francisco-based employment, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
About Pivotal Software
About us Pivotal transforms how the world builds software. Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations’ core expertise and values. We enable the leading companies in the world to innovate by employing an approach focused on building software. Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our team uses agile and lean approaches to teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions. We optimize for change so enterprises can move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. Recent updateSee all See all recent updates
Want to learn more about Pivotal Software? Visit Pivotal Software's website.
Jobs You May Like
Staff Software Engineer, Desktop Engineering
Box, Redwood City, CA
Data Scientist, Algorithms
Software Engineer II
PlayStation, San Diego, CA
Senior Android Software Engineer
Lalamove, Hong Kong
OpenX, OpenX - Poland
Lead Software Engineer, Mixed Reality Applications
Magic Leap, Inc., Plantation, FL