PlayFab is looking for a senior backend engineer to join our small-but-mighty engineering team, designing and building highly-scalable backend services for games.
This is a critical role, since you will own technology at the heart of our service. PlayFab already supports more than 60 million monthly active players and more than 10,000 API calls per second, but we need to scale way beyond that. You will be contributing broadly across virtually every system we have, writing code that affects millions of players with a minimum of overhead or bureaucracy. Our engineers own the entire development process, from design, through coding and testing, to deployment and monitoring. We have no separate ops team.
Typical tasks might include designing, building, testing, and deploying new features and APIs with an emphasis on scalability and up-time, running brutal load tests, enhancing internal and customer facing dashboards and tools, directly supporting high profile customers, and much more.
Ideally you have extensive experience building large-scale web services, working with a variety of server topologies and storage technologies, and working in a cloud-based environment such as AWS or Azure. Experience building developer facing APIs or in game development is a plus, but not required.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Write and maintain efficient, scalable, maintainable code for our cloud-based service.
- Write and conduct unit and load tests for all your work – then deploy to production when it’s ready.
- Work closely with other members of the team (account managers, UX designers, producers) to design and prioritize new features and architecture changes.
- Collaborate with other engineers to work out best practices and development methodology, conduct root cause analysis on production issues, and find solutions to challenging scalability and availability issues.
Experience and Qualifications
- 4+ years of professional experience in software engineering.
- Experience building and managing large-scale web services.
- Experience deploying, monitoring, and maintaining cloud-based services.
- Experience owning feature development from start to finish, including gathering requirements, documenting the design, implementation, testing and monitoring.
- Demonstrated ability to stay organized, exhibit great follow-through, and deliver high-quality finished work.
- A positive, collaborative, and professional attitude.
- Plusses include previous experience with any of the following: C#, AWS (specifically EC2, S3, ELB, DynamoDB, Kinesis, RedShift, Route 53, CloudFormation), Azure (specifically Compute, CosmosDB, Event Hubs, Resource Manager), Git / GitHub, Jenkins, SQL, XMPP, Full-stack engineering skills, Game development experience.
About Us PlayFab offers the most complete backend platform built exclusively for live games. Start integrating with your mobile, PC, or console game for free, and go live for a fraction of the cost of one backend engineer. You bring the fun, we'll do the rest.
Want to learn more about PlayFab? Visit PlayFab's website.
Slack's cloud-based collaboration tools and services are used worldwide.