PlayFab provides a live-game operations platform that transforms how studios of all sizes build, launch, and operate their games post-launch. We currently serve more than 70 million unique players a month, across more than 1,300 live games, with more than 25,000 TPS, and generate rich data about the players and games we service.
PlayFab is looking to hire its first data engineer to focus on building new infrastructure for handling and analyzing our increasingly large, real-time data set. This is a broad, technical role, and will involve finding better ways to gather data, improving our schema, automating data warehouse maintenance, and ultimately solving customer problems by making their data more accessible. Success in this role looks like shipping code, contributing to architectural design, and earning customer raves. The end result will be a more polished, insightful, and featureful product.
Areas of focus will include machine learning for auto-optimization; identifying, quantifying and productizing successful game industry strategies; improving our reports and analytics tools; improving segmentation of players and customers; and identifying unique players across games.
To be effective in this role, you will need to be a total self-starter, be entrepreneurial and resourceful, have a bias towards action, and be passionate about building a high volume distributed system. You’ll enjoy taking your turn being “on call”, will have a strong engineering background, and also know when to tap outside resources.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Partner with our data science team to explore the large and growing set of data generated by PlayFab as it serves its current set of live games. Look for opportunities to use this data to improve current products and services and generate new ones.
- Design and prototype new offerings using player and title data and techniques such as machine learning, data mining, statistical analysis, predictive analytics, model creation, and data visualization.
- Participate in the design and engineering of PlayFab’s game services, to ensure they are capturing the right data, in the right formats, to facilitate the development of new and compelling offerings.
- Take the lead on designing the next generation of PlayFab’s data pipeline, including event logging and import into our data warehouse.
- Work with data scientists to build the right schema, queries, and models from the data.
- Help maintain our data warehouse, data sharing features, and ingestion pipeline.
- Write and conduct unit and load tests for all your work – then deploy to production when it’s ready.
- Take a turn being “on-call” to respond with production issues that might come up.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelors in computer science, mathematics, or related fields.
- Prior experience working with distributed systems, ideally Amazon Web Services or Azure.
- Fluency with relevant tools such as Python, SQL, C#, or Java.
- Thrive in a fast-paced and growing organization.
- Flexibility to quickly switch as needed between big-picture thinking and down-in-the-details execution.
- Self-starter, requiring minimal hand-holding or coaching.
- An ability to listen to others and learn from their best ideas, exhibiting inquisitiveness and intellectual curiosity.
- Good communicator, with strong writing and presentation abilities. Proven ability to communicate complex technical ideas.
- Experience working with Snowflake, Redshift, or a similar data warehouse is a plus.
- Prior experience working within the game industry is a nice-to-have.
About Us PlayFab offers the most complete backend platform built exclusively for live games. Start integrating with your mobile, PC, or console game for free, and go live for a fraction of the cost of one backend engineer. You bring the fun, we'll do the rest.
Want to learn more about PlayFab? Visit PlayFab's website.
Jobs You May Like
Deployment Automation Engineer
Exabeam, San Mateo, CA
The Linux Foundation, Remote
Senior Security Engineer - Endpoint Solutions
Credit Karma, San Francisco, CA
Full-Stack Engineer (Los Angeles, CA)
NexTravel, Los Angeles, CA
Senior Android Developer
INDIGO fair, Waterloo
Lead Site Reliability Engineer