PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Monitoring DevOps Engineer
Location: San Francisco, CA (SoMa)
We're seeking a talented Senior Big Data Engineer to join a team responsible for delivering an entertainment experiences for next gen gaming & entertainment consoles, right in the heart of the SoMA neighborhood San Francisco.
The team you will join primarily deals with collection of metrics and logs from our cloud services. But that will not be the only tasks. You'll be tasked with helping with automation of many of the back-end infrastructure tasks, auto-scaling, and building out new services related to data collection for other teams.
You will be part of a team that believes in delivering highly scalable software on the cloud. This role is ideal for an engineer who is passionate about building and scaling cloud based systems with a particular focus on big data and real time data analysis. You are encouraged to be an early adopter and contributor to open source big data technologies to help build, scale, and maintain the critical data warehouse.
- Overseeing the data collection platform. Recommending changes or updates and scale to fit the size of the data.
- Use streaming and batch technologies to build a analytic pipeline at scale.
- Writing code to parse log steams and gather the metric data needed to run graphs for both business and support of a global gaming environment.
- Building out, Scaling, and supporting our graphing and metric environment. You just won't be crunching the numbers, but building the systems to do it.
- Own the jobs and processes that collect the data from our cloud environments, and all the services inside.
- Continuously work on improving and tuning the data collection, what we monitor, and how we alert.
- Own the content that powers the operational dashboards displayed throughout our organization; work closely with developers and guide them to write usable metrics and logs.
- Ability to lead and execute projects from start to finish.
- Build and maintain systems used internally by both the operations teams and development teams; be part of a rotation for 24/7 on call support for monitoring and logging systems.
- 5+ years of professional experience in a high-availability data center environment for serving large web services.
- 5+ years of Linux administration in a production Saas/Cloud environment; understanding of high throughput message buses.
- Understand log collection agents for pulling metric data from AWS, Cloudwatch, Cloudtrails, and other metrics stored in S3.
- Knowledge of chef or other configuration management tools; experience with Grafana or other metric dashboard tools
- Involvement in the Open Source community (code writing, patch submission, bug reporting, etc.) is a huge plus.
- Proficiency in one or more programming languages, such as Java, Scala, Golang, Python
- Experience with big data and distributed systems technologies like HBase, Hadoop, Kafka, Storm, ZooKeeper, Cassandra, Redis, Elasticsearch, OpenTSDB and InfluxDB
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994.