PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Character TD
San Diego, CA
Sony PlayStation’s Visual Arts Services Group (VASG) on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
We are looking for an experienced Character Technical Director to join our sunny San Diego, California development team. This role requires strong Maya rigging/setup skills as well as understanding of anatomy and realistic deformation to deliver consistent results that are done efficiently, timely, meeting the technical/animation requirements, and most importantly maintaining the industry-leading quality PlayStation’s award-winning first party lineup is known for.
- Set up and maintain character (humans and animals) rigs.
- Work with art team to generate models that meet deformation requirements.
- Work with animation team to create artist-friendly rigs that satisfy animation and gameplay needs.
- Set up character dynamics (i.e. cloth, hair).
- Create and support rigging/animation tools as needed.
- Provide and maintain technical documentation.
Required Experience and Skills
- Strong knowledge of Maya, with minimum of 4 years of production experience in game or film/vfx fields.
- Understanding of character/prop rigging techniques and principles.
- Familiarity with figure and facial anatomy.
- Experience in adopting production pipelines and following guidelines and system requirements.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to find pragmatic solutions.
- Python and Maya scripting proficiency.
- Proven ability to be self-sufficient and be proactive in preventing/solving production issues.
- Effective communication skills.
Maya API (Python and/or C++)
Familiarity in runtime performance efficiency and optimization
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994.
Want to learn more about PlayStation? Visit PlayStation's website.
The best bed for better sleep