Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
Senior Software Engineer, Core Technology
Location: San Francisco, CA (SoMa)
At PlayStation® we are proud of our open work culture. Our primary asset is our great team of talented engineers, and technically minded managers. We have cool technology and interesting growth projects ahead. You are expected to have full input and ownership in many projects and areas. We encourage sharing of ideas and are open and willing to incorporate new ones. We maintain a fun, supportive, open, encouraging culture where engineering is trusted and empowered to perform at their best.
We are seeking a top notch senior software engineer to design, and develop core technologies that power cloud-based network software services for the PlayStation®, and other applications and devices. The team you’ll be joining is chartered with evaluating, developing, and adopting emerging and prevalent technologies that can be used commonly across various PlayStation® services. You’ll have multiple opportunities to have an outsized impact on shaping the evolution of our web services platform. If millions of users, billions of network transactions, and trillions of data bytes excite you, then we’d love to hear from you on how you can help us in pushing this even farther.
- Identify and evaluate technologies that help us scale our cloud based systems better, keeping a close eye on performance, and ease of operation and maintenance while fully understanding the tradeoffs required
- Prototype solutions, including the ones with technologies available in-house, to identify good fit
- Develop libraries, systems and architectural patterns that can be used commonly across teams
- Ensure uptake of chosen solutions throughout our software ecosystem; help in preparing strategic roadmap for technology adoption
- Work with limited supervision under tight time constraints and respond to rapidly evolving requirements
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science plus 8 years of experience or equivalent. Master's degree preferred.
- A superior skill in evaluating various technologies as they apply to existing systems, and making recommendations while fully understanding the tradeoffs needed and consciously made.
- 5+ years of solid programming experience in Java core libraries and developing web server applications, object oriented design and design patterns; be very passionate about writing high quality and well-architected code
- Experience in building high-performance and cloud based scalable web services. Experience with design and implementation of modern web services architecture and API frameworks (REST/SOAP/AJAX/JSON). Experience with Amazon Web Services and EC2 a big plus.
- Experience with open source based technology stack -- Linux, MySQL, Apache, Tomcat, Solr, Docker, Kafka, and Cassandra are required; strong knowledge of NoSQL like DynamoDB, Redis, and Aerospike is a big plus along with knowledge of gRPC
- Deep understanding of and adherence to engineering best practices – requirement gathering and analysis, design and develop secure and scalable code with unit tests, partake in code reviews and documentation
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994.