PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Staff Software Engineer, Core Technology (Back End)
Location: San Francisco, CA (SoMa)
The PlayStation® software engineering group is looking for a staff software engineer to design, and develop core technologies that power cloud-based network software services for the PlayStation®, and other applications and devices. In this role you will provide strong technical leadership in cloud based software development, in setting of technology standards, and in evaluating and adopting of cutting edge technologies to PlayStation®’s fold.
The team you’ll be joining is chartered with building brand new PlayStation® services to support dozens of new user experiences. You’ll have multiple opportunities to have an outsized impact on shaping the evolution of our web services platform. If millions of users, billions of network transactions, and trillions of data bytes excite you, then we’d love to hear from you on how you can help us in pushing this even farther.
At PlayStation® we are proud of our open work culture. Our primary asset is our great team of talented engineers, and technically minded managers. We have cool technology and interesting growth projects ahead. You are expected to have full input and ownership in many projects and areas. We encourage sharing of ideas and are open and willing to incorporate new ones. We maintain a fun, supportive, open, encouraging culture where engineering is trusted and empowered to perform at their best.
- Identify and evaluate technologies that help us scale our cloud based systems better, keeping a close eye on performance, and ease of operation and maintenance
- Prototype solutions, including the ones developed in-house, to identify good fit
- Ensure adoption of chosen solutions throughout our software ecosystem
- Help in preparing strategic roadmap for technology adoption
- Produce excellent, thorough design and development documentation
- Work with limited supervision under tight time constraints and respond to rapidly evolving requirements
- Familiar and comfortable with agile development methodology
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science plus 10 years of experience or equivalent. Master's degree preferred.
- Strong computer science fundamentals in the areas of algorithms, network communication, operating system concepts from performance and maintenance standpoints.
- A superior skill in evaluating various technologies as they apply to existing systems, and making recommendations while fully understanding the tradeoffs needed and consciously made.
- 10+ years of solid programming experience in Java core libraries and developing web server applications, object oriented design and design patterns, and passionate about writing high quality and well-architected code.
- Experience in building high-performance and cloud based scalable web services. Experience with design and implementation of modern web services architecture and API frameworks (REST/JSON). Experience with Amazon Web Services and EC2 a big plus.
- Experience with open source based technology stack -- Linux, Tomcat, Solr, Kafka, and Cassandra.
- Knowledge of other NoSQL like DynamoDB, Redis, Aerospike is a big plus, so is familiarity with Docker and gRPC.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994.
Want to learn more about PlayStation? Visit PlayStation's website.
Jobs You May Like
Software Development Engineer in Test (Backend) (m/f)
Technical Support Engineer
Twilio, Singapore or Hong Kong
Global Head of Software Engineering
Exiger, Toronto, Canada
Services Engineer - EMEA
GitHub, Remote - Europe
Senior Solutions Architect, Korea
Pivotal Software, Seoul
Principal Software Engineer, Performance (Front End)
PlayStation, San Francisco, CA