PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Environment Outsource Review Artist
This is a contracted position through our staffing partner Yoh Services with a high likelihood of extension.
San Diego, CA
Sony PlayStation’s Visual Arts Group on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to Worldwide Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
We're looking for an Environment Outsource Review Artist to supervise and have the ability to create both in-game and in-game cinematic quality environments and props within a range of styles. The focus will be on environmental art pieces and set dressing for a AAA title.
If you have the ability to create environments from both detailed concepts and a single photograph we want to speak to you! If you're able to take and provide direction from concepts or rough direction to final model/texture, even better!
- Create in-game art and in-game cinematic art assets to Visual Arts/client specifications
- Creating and/or supervising the creation of proxy mesh/gray box art assets to internal team
- Set Dressing: This includes placement of objects for both aesthetic and gameplay purposes; ideally should have an understanding of environmental storytelling
- Take an environment to from grey box to final quality (end to end) including collision and baking lighting
- Evaluate effort estimations to ensure man days are in-line with current project schedules
- Create and/or modify existing assets as necessary, may be required to create both hard surface and soft bodied assets from scratch
- Quality control art assets prior to delivery to client
- Work with clients/supervisors to revise and respond based on feedback for both aesthetic and functional purposes
- Test levels in-game and assess both aesthetics and performance on PS4
- 5 years' experience as an Environment Artist, with at least 2 shipped AAA titles
- An advanced understanding of in-game and in-game cinematic art asset creation
- An advanced understanding of Maya, as well as ZBrush or Mudbox
- Ability to use in-game technology to finalize assets
- Understanding of in-game testing to test/optimize for frame rate while balancing aesthetic needs
- Experience with set dressing within a game engine (Unreal, Crytek, or proprietary)
- An advanced understanding of in-game art asset creation including hardsurface props, soft rigid assets such as clothing items, vehicle, weapons, etc…
- Experience working with external outsource vendors
- Experience working on previous cinematic projects
- Experience working with a game engine and engine tools
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994.