PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Character TD (Contract)
San Diego, CA | Remote
This position can be based in San Diego or fully remote from anywhere in the USA and Canada.
This is a long-term contracted position through third party staffing agency DZConneX.
PlayStation Studios Visual Arts (PSSVA) on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to PlayStation Studios. Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies!
We are looking for a Technical Director who has experience with Maya rigging/scripting, along with a strong understanding of human anatomy and realistic deformation. You will work with our multi-award winning team while working with AAA PlayStation Studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studio, San Diego Studio, Guerrilla Games, and more!
If you like to be hands-on and have the effective communication skills to ensure output from the rigging team is executed efficiently, timely, and meet our technical and animation requirements, we want to talk to you!
- Set up and maintain character (humans and animals) rigs.
- Work with art team to generate models that meet deformation requirements.
- Work with animation team to create artist-friendly rigs that satisfy animation and gameplay needs.
- Set up character dynamics (i.e. cloth, hair).
- Create and support rigging/animation tools as needed.
- Provide and maintain technical documentation.
Required Experience and Skills
- Minimum 2 years’ of production experience in game or film/vfx field, with strong understanding of Maya and Python scripting.
- Strong knowledge of Maya, with minimum of 4 years of production experience in game or film/vfx fields.
- Understanding of character/prop rigging techniques and principles.
- Familiarity with figure and facial anatomy.
- Experience in adopting production pipelines and following guidelines and system requirements.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to find pragmatic solutions.
- Python and Maya scripting proficiency.
- Proven ability to be self-sufficient and be proactive in preventing/solving production issues.
- Effective communication skills.
- C++ experience (Maya API).
- Familiarity in runtime performance efficiency and optimization.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information, including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information, including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994.
Want to learn more about PlayStation? Visit PlayStation's website.
Lyft is your friend with a car, whenever you need one