Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) is responsible for the PlayStation® brand and family of products and services. PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994. The PlayStation family of products and services include PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Vita, PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Store, PlayStation®Plus, PlayStation™Video, PlayStation™Music, PlayStation™Now, PlayStation™Vue, PlayStation®Original and acclaimed PlayStation software titles from SIE Worldwide Studios. Headquartered in San Mateo, California, SIE is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation and has global functions and regional headquarters in California, London and Tokyo.
This position is for a temporary engagement through our staffing partner Yoh.
Do you want to work with some of the best artists in the industry? Then join us as an Environment Artist at Santa Monica Studio and create worlds. You will be contributing to the artistic vision and development of a product with a specialized focus on creating environment/level assets utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills.
As Environment Artist, you possess the ability to effectively collaborate with a wide-range of development team members outside of their direct discipline such as the Designers, Technical Artist, Animators, Programmers and Producers, to optimally achieve artistic goals and implementation as they relate to design and technological considerations.
- Supports the development of the artistic techniques and processes utilized to define and achieve a product’s visual style or encourage artistic evolution within the studio. Develop a comprehensive knowledge of the art production pipeline and all engine, tools and systems associated with the creation of art assets.
- Content creation, including environment 2D texture map painting, 3D modeling/sculpting, material setup/UV layout, and lighting according to defined quality standards, artistic styles, conceptual designs, development pipelines, technical parameters and production goals.
- Maintain the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release. This entails ensuring environment/level assets are of the highest artistic quality and uphold the integrity of the games design and artistic vision of the game as a whole.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the games design to support communication and allow better participation in discussions.
- Facilitates research and information gathering prior to the commencement of a new task to ensure game design needs, reference materials, artistic direction and technological considerations are effectively managed to meet defined goals.
- Facilitates requests or information needs regarding any aspect of the environment/level art creation process as requested.
- Capable of resolving an assortment of moderately complex artistic development issues for both artists as well as other team members.
- Actively develops skill set and abilities by keeping aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluating competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods.
- Possess strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to develop task lists to ensure assignments are progressing as expected according to schedules, milestones and overall project goals.
- Clearly communicate updates and properly escalate concerns to the appropriate team member(s) and manager(s).
- At least 2-4 years industry experience preferred.
- Traditional fine art skills and training (illustration, painting, organic forms, color theory, perspective, 2D & 3D design).
- Highly proficient in the use of Maya (or equivalent 3D modeling package) and Photoshop.
- Z-Brush/Mudbox/Substance Painter experience desirable.
- Some experience with environmental V.F.X implementation desirable.
- Some familiarity with video game product development including, but not limited to workflow, tools, lighting, high and low poly modeling, texture paining, surface sampling, particle systems, mapping techniques, UV layout, in-game animation, material setup, layout, sfx, and engine parameters/optimizations desirable.
- Good communication, organizational, time management and interpersonal skills.
- Proven ability to follow existing guidelines, policies, procedures or project parameters.
- Previous or next-gen video game platform experience is desirable.
- B.A. in fine arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skillset.
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
Recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment, PlayStation has delivered innovation to the market since the launch of the original PlayStation in Japan in 1994.
Want to learn more about PlayStation? Visit PlayStation's website.
Jobs You May Like
User Experience Design Director
AKQA, New York
UX Designer (Penang, Malaysia)
Piktochart, Penang, Malaysia
Red Ventures, South Charlotte
Zoox, Foster City, CA
Part Time UX Design Instructor
General Assembly, Austin
Experience Design Lead (Boston)
Intrepid Pursuits, Boston, MA