About the role...
When Policygenius customers first begin interacting with us, they spend time exploring our marketplaces and completing applications for financial protection. What they don't see is all the work that we do for them that goes on behind the scenes. After an application is submitted, Policygenius agents use our custom-built platform to find the best products for each customer, work with carriers to underwrite policies, and fulfill detailed customer needs. As a Director of Engineering for our operational software products, you will lead the teams who make this work possible.
On an ongoing basis, you will guide the careers of software engineers and engineering managers, forge the strategic vision for your teams, and partner with product and design directors to create innovative software products that help our internal teams serve our customers. You will focus on technical mentorship and coaching to build a culture of transformational leadership. You will help your feature teams learn and adapt to a changing environment. You will plan strategic engineering initiatives to move the tech organization forward. Above all, you will be a change agent who pushes yourself and those around you for excellence.
In this role, you will…
- Coach software developers and engineering managers to help them realize their potential
- Spearhead the development of a technical vision for the products of tomorrow
- Mentor Agile teams to make technical decisions, improve effectiveness, and partner with product management and product design
- Own your organization’s design and strategically plan to grow and augment it as the product and company strategies further develop over time
- Experiment with an open-minded team that is always exploring new technologies and practices
- Ship exceptional products that improve the work of those around you, and that serve our mission of bringing financial protection to individuals and families across the country
We’d love to hear from you if…
- You have 4+ years managing software development teams
- You have 7+ years of experience in software development, designing experiment-driven software applications with cloud-based architectures
- You have experience coaching other engineering managers
- You have a proven track record of mentoring and developing the careers of software engineers
- You have successfully driven the development and implementation of a technical vision
- You have forged strong partnerships with product leaders
- You have strong communication skills and the ability to comfortably articulate your thoughts and decisions
- You have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, growing company
- You have experience working in an agile environment
You can expect...
- Company-paid health, dental, vision, life & disability insurance
- 401(k) plan, FSA & commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- Training, mentorship and coaching from leadership
- The opportunity to grow alongside a company shaking up a big, old-fashioned industry
- Fun, diverse, open-minded coworkers
- Dog companionship!!!
Policygenius is America's leading online insurance marketplace. We launched in 2014 and made our mark as an early insurtech pioneer. Our mission is to help people get financial protection right — and feel good about it — and we make it easy for our customers to understand their options, compare quotes, and buy insurance, all in one place. We’ve helped more than 30 million people shop for all types of insurance like they shop for everything else — online — and have placed over $60 billion in coverage. In early 2020, we announced our Series D funding round of $100 million, bringing our total funding to just over $150 million.
At Policygenius, we’re proud of building an environment that encourages our teammates to bring their authentic selves to work. Despite rapid growth (we’ve doubled in size year over year!), we’ve continuously maintained our inclusive culture through humility, hard-work, and humor, and we're looking for more people with grit, collaborative attitudes, and creative problem-solving skills to join our team. Come see why we’ve been voted one of Inc. Magazine's "Best Workplaces" three years in a row!
Diversity at Policygenius
Policygenius believes differences should be celebrated and is committed to building a team as diverse as the customers we serve. We welcome different perspectives and opinions to foster innovation, authenticity, and excellence across all parts of our company, and are committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Policygenius highly encourages applicants from all walks of life. All employment decisions at Policygenius are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to actual or perceived race, color, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, political affiliation or belief, religion, disability, uniformed service, marital status or any other status protected by law.
Come join the team!
About us PolicyGenius, based in NYC, was founded in 2014 by two former McKinsey consultants who saw an opportunity to shift the notoriously outdated insurance industry online and into the hands of consumers. The company now provides the only place online to comparison shop for life, health, long-term disability, renters and pet insurance through its highly accurate quoting engine. Its proprietary Insurance Checkup™ also lets users discover their coverage gaps and find highly tailored solutions for their exact needs.
Want to learn more about PolicyGenius? Visit PolicyGenius's website.
A membership platform that makes it easy for artists and creators to get paid