POPSUGAR is looking for a Creative Director to oversee the creative experiences for POPSUGAR Media and POPSUGAR Must-Have subscription business. In this role, you will get to play a central role in our effort to continually elevate our brand. This is a full- time position based in our New York office. Specific responsibilities include the following:
Creative Vision, Strategy & Execution – Elevate creative output and profile for POPSUGAR – the consumer brand, corporate brand, trade brand and commerce brand Must-Have. Direct creative strategy and execution for all creative work produced under the POPSUGAR Brand and business.
Holistic Creative Oversight – Ensure consistency and cohesiveness of creative vision across all brands above as well as all channels – product UX/UI, creative execution of editorial campaigns, social, marketing materials, events, photography etc – through influence of some channels and direct ownership of others.
Team Leadership – Recruit and build a department of passionate, best-of-breed high- performing team players that include graphic designers, art directors, creative project management, copywriter and photo team. Provide ongoing mentoring and coaching for team of 8 direct reports, larger team of 20. Manage their performance as well as career development. Develop a robust “learning and inspiration” plan for this team to help keep them engaged, motivated, inspired, and at the top of their game.
Project Leadership & Management – Evaluate creative requests, prioritize based on larger business strategy and needs, inform stakeholders of status as needed, and secure all resources necessary to execute high priority projects on-time and on-budget across both design and photo studios.
Cross-functional Leadership – Effectively provide partnership and creative leadership across departments: Engineering, Sales, Brand Strategies, Editorial, Marketing etc.
The successful candidate is an experienced leader but still like to get his/her hands dirty with design and the creative development process. S/he is up-to-date with the latest technologies and what’s trending, possesses a genuine passion for our brand and its passion points (pop culture, fashion, beauty, celebrity, entertainment, fitness, food, home etc), authentic connection with the brand’s female millennial audience, and has impeccable sense of style and aesthetics. S/he will infect those s/he touches with an authentic enthusiasm for creativity and innovation.
Strong track record of elevating brand(s) in tangible and multi-‐dimensional ways, demonstrated by a design portfolio including interactive (including mobile), social, video and print with work for comparable lifestyle brands in the fashion/beauty/retail/aspirational lifestyle space. Body of work should exude a fresh, hip, fun sense of aesthetics and style that resonates with POPSUGAR’s brand as well as its female millennial audience.
Authentic passion in pop culture and POPSUGAR’s passionate points. Able to engage others through his/her enthusiasm and excitement about the brand and business. Communicates passion, energy and intensity in every way.
- Experience recruiting, building, managing and mentoring large creative and photography department of +25.
- Ability to execute hands-on design, on his/her own or alongside designers as needed.
- Understanding of and experience working with complex brand architectures, and ability to command different visual styles/tones due to large portfolio of brands.
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment, under tight deadlines.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, with executive presence and gravitas.
- Passion for new technologies and emerging trends. Is an early adopter of technology, and comfortable traversing in both design and technology.
- Natural leader who is also willing to listen and partner. Leads by influence and not just authority. Has high emotional intelligence. Conveys a sense of passion and drives issues to closure. Operates equally effectively in formal and informal settings.
- Has great network of resources at his/her disposal – agencies, vendors, freelancers, illustrators photographers, recruiters etc that s/he can command to get the job done under any circumstance.
- 12+ years of experience with proven creative innovation and leadership track record.
- Ability to travel and work flexible hours.
Attributes and Characteristics
- Action and Results-orientation (sense of urgency to secure “wins”)
- Impeccable sense of style and aesthetics (“great eye and taste”)
- Strategic and big picture thinking (conceptual thinker who understands what moves the needle in larger context)
- Positive can-do attitude (always ask “how” and not stuck at “can’t”)
- Strong relationship management , communication and interpersonal skills (high EQ, effective influencer, builds trusted relationships)
- Independent self-starter (ability to initiate and lead without requiring day-‐to-‐day guidance)
- Innovative and creative thinking (an “ideas person” who is an out of the box thinker and problem solver)
- Resourcefulness (able to stretch money and people)
- Intellectual horsepower (big picture thinker, voracious reader, fierce intellectual curiosity)
- Organized and attention-to-detail approach (strong tactical execution)
- Off the charts in ability to get things done
- “Relationships person”
- Competitive and passion for winning
- Professional humility, high integrity and trustworthy
- Good listener, collaborative
- Pioneering spirit/drive
- Flexible and adaptable
POPSUGAR Inc. is a global media and technology company that is parent to lifestyle media publisher POPSUGAR and monthly subscription box POPSUGAR Must Have. Together, the brands attract a monthly global audience of 100 million, generating 3.1 billion monthly content views. POPSUGAR is the #1 lifestyle brand for young women, delivering inspiring, informative, and entertaining content in multi-platforms across entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, food, parenting, news and more. POPSUGAR Studios, the video production arm of POPSUGAR, Inc., is the leading producer of online video lifestyle content, with more than 390 million monthly views of its original series.
POPSUGAR Inc. has offices in San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and London and operates internationally in Australia, France, the Middle East, and the UK. The company is privately held and funded by Sequoia Capital and IVP. For more information about POPSUGAR Inc., visit corp.popsugar.com.
POPSUGAR is dedicated to fostering a diverse and inclusive company culture. We celebrate our differences and embrace the varying ideas, interests, and life experiences that make us who we are. As a company with a mission to inform and inspire people all over the world, we believe that employing individuals with diverse backgrounds is essential to building a successful, creative, and innovative business.
We work hard, play nice, and welcome those who do the same.
Whoever you are, You are POPSUGAR.
POPSUGAR Inc. is a global media and technology company including lifestyle media publisher POPSUGAR and monthly subscription box POPSUGAR Must Have. We deliver inspiring, informative, and entertaining multi-platform content across entertainment, fashion, beauty, fitness, food, parenting, news and more. Our Story Lisa Sugar had a passion for celebrity news (especially everything Matt Damon) and blue handbags, and sensed a void in the market for fun, friendly, pop culture content. Her husband Brian had an equal passion for disrupting big industries through technology. In 2005, they shared a vision to modernize the newsstand by bringing readers the latest trending topics in pop culture in real-time. Over the last ten years, POPSUGAR has grown to encompass all lifestyle categories and POPSUGAR Must Have. Together they deliver on the Sugar's vision of creating the ultimate lifestyle brand for the digitally savvy generation.
Want to learn more about POPSUGAR? Visit POPSUGAR's website.
Jobs You May Like
Manager Social Media - Nordics
Netflix, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Head of Driver Engagement
Lyft, San Francisco, CA
Sr. Retail Brand Manager (Toys)
Coupang, Seoul (HQ)
Senior Manager - Mobile APP Marketing
Adjoint(e) aux communications/French Communications Associate
Senior Brand Designer
Yotpo, Tel Aviv-Yafo