Software Engineer: Backend (Fleet)
Postmates, San Francisco
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
Passionate about building massively scalable systems? Want to work with a top class team of engineers ranging from new graduates to seasoned managers and architects? Want to make a billion-dollar impact? If so, here is an opportunity tailored for you.
Who are we?
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by providing a marketplace where consumers can purchase goods from any local restaurant or store and local couriers deliver the goods to their home in minutes. Postmates has unlocked on-demand local shopping — providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order, and Postmates relies heavily on our engineering applications and systems to realize this vision. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 300+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our technical journey to build our technology stack in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What does this team do?
The fleet team is responsible for the “delivery” aspect of Postmates. Our mission is to have the most efficient and reliable Fleet in the on-demand delivery space, and to ensure that our Fleet earns the most on the Postmates platform. We’re tasked with providing a seamless courier onboarding experience, giving couriers the tools to complete deliveries in an efficient and timely manner, and providing them with data to allow them to manage their performance on our platform. We do this through an Android/iOS fleet app, a web dashboard, and a set of reliable backend services that power the delivery platform. The challenge is building a simple but powerful experience for couriers that scales with Postmates’ rapid growth.
What will you do?
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will be responsible for all aspects for product development. You will work with product and engineering leaders to help define the strategic direction for the Fleet team.
On a technical level, you’ll be leading the design and implementation of our products as well as figuring out how to measure the impact. On any given day you might:
1. Design the data model and build APIs for a new feature.
2. Design and build systems to be reliable and scalable.
3. Run experiments to measure the impact of new features/products and use the learnings to inform the next steps.
Helping the team grow is also an essential aspect of this role. You’ll have the opportunity to do this by improving engineering processes and tools as well as educating and mentoring other engineers.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or a related field
- 5+ years experience in building large scale consumer-facing web applications or services
- Expertise in a modern server side framework such as Django, Spring, Rails, etc.
- Expertise in Python, Go, or another modern programming language such as Java or C#
- Expertise integrating and optimizing relational databases such as Postgres, SQLServer, MySQL, etc.
- Expertise building restful APIs, integrating with various client platforms such as iOS, Android and Web.
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Sharp problem solving skills and ability to resolve ambiguous requirements
- Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement of systems, software, and processes through analysis and metrics
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Technical leadership experience in building complex software systems from scoping requirements to actual launch
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in Financial District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.
Want to learn more about Postmates? Visit Postmates's website.
Jobs You May Like
Lastline, Santa Barbara, Berkeley, Redwood City, Boston, London
Lead Unity Developer - Barcelona
Scopely, Barcelona, Spain
SDE III - Data
Visual Designer / Hybrid Designer
Red Ventures, Atlanta, GA
Senior Backend Engineer
IT Support Manager