Software Engineer: Backend (Core Platform Services)
Postmates, San Francisco
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
Passionate about building massively scalable systems? Want to work with a top class team of engineers ranging from new graduates to seasoned managers and architects? Want to make a billion-dollar impact? If so, here is an opportunity tailored for you.
Who are we?
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by providing a marketplace where consumers can purchase goods from any local restaurant or store and local couriers deliver the goods to their home in minutes. Postmates has unlocked on-demand local shopping — providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order, and Postmates relies heavily on our engineering applications and systems to realize this vision. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 300+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our technical journey to build our technology stack in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What does this team do?
The Core Platform Services team is the backbone of Postmates' microservice architecture. We build and own a portfolio of Postmates’ platform services that are leveraged by mobile and web applications. Our order management service handles the data and business logic for millions of customer orders per month. We've built an authentication service which provides OAuth tokens so any client can speak to any Postmates service with a trusted user identity. As part of the team, you should be up for the challenge to take on new domains and be ready to build those into highly available services. Our backend technology stack is based on Elixir, Go, Python and Postgres. Additionally, as a team we help choose the architecture, tools and design patterns that will scale Postmates from millions of users to hundreds of millions.
What will you do?
You will be responsible for all aspects for product development. This not only includes design & coding of new services and algorithms, but also helping define the strategic direction for such systems. We are building the technology from ground up, so we are not tied to any one technology. Helping select the right technologies is part of the role. So is working with multiple internal and external distributed services. Finally, this being a new team, you’ll have lots of opportunities to help us build & grow the team via mentoring, hiring & training.
- Bachelors (BS/BE) in Computer Science or a related field
- 4+ years experience in building consumer-facing, large scale, web applications or services
- Top notch coding skills in one of Go/Python/Java/C++/Elixir coupled with strong base in object-oriented design, REST API/microservices and data modeling skills
- Experience integrating with relational databases such as Postgres, MySQL, etc.
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Sharp problem solving skills and ability to resolve ambiguous requirements
- Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement of code, systems, and processes through analysis and metrics.
- Masters/PhD in Computer Science or a related field
- Technical leadership experience in building complex software systems from scoping requirements to actual launch
- Proven experience in building large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software systems
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in Financial District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.
Want to learn more about Postmates? Visit Postmates's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior UI Engineer - Edge Insights Engineering
Netflix, Los Gatos, California
Technical Program Manager - Client Delivery
Qualtrics, Provo, UT
Senior Front End Engineer
Fullscreen, Playa Vista, CA
Senior Software Engineer- Cambridge
CiBO Technologies, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Eventbrite, Mendoza, Argentina