Software Engineer: Backend (Customer Service Technology)
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
Why compromise? Here's an opportunity that your engineering heart, your career, your mentor and your family can be excited about at the same time! Yes, a job that has it all, i.e., explosive growth, ground-floor architecture, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter and a cool vision that you can boast about.
Who are we?
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by providing a marketplace where consumers can purchase goods from any local restaurant or store and local couriers deliver the goods to their home in minutes. Postmates has unlocked on-demand local shopping — providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order, and Postmates relies heavily on our engineering applications and systems to realize this vision. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 300+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our technical journey to build our technology stack in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What does this team do?
We didn’t make Postmates a multi-hundred-million dollar business, but our customers did. The mission of Customer Service Technology at Postmates is to create world-class self-service and support for our customers, including buyers, merchants and couriers. By relentlessly focusing on customer service, we ensure our customers have a positive experience that keeps them coming back. Working in our team will provide you a unique opportunity to contribute to a complete vertical stack of microservices architecture, horizontally connected to most systems in the larger Postmates ecosystem, e.g., Identity, Ordering, Trips, Payments, etc. Obsessed with our customers, we develop high-quality and scalable systems, including beautiful frontend UI using latest web and mobile technologies, distributed backend services in Python, and real-time business intelligence with big data analytics.
What will you do?
As an experienced software engineer, you will be responsible for all aspects for product development. This not only includes design & coding of new architecture and services, but also helping define the strategic direction for such systems. We are building the systems from ground up, so we are not tied to any one technology. Helping select the right technologies and envisioning a long-term architecture is part of the role. So is working with multiple internal and external distributed services. Finally, this being a new team, you’ll have lots of opportunities to help us build & grow the team via mentoring, hiring & training.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or a related field
- 5+ years of experience in building impactful and technically complex software systems
- Top notch coding skills in Python/Go/Java/C++ coupled with strong base in OOA/OOD, SOA/Microservices and data modeling skills
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Sharp problem solving skills and ability to resolve ambiguous requirements
- Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement of systems, software, and processes through analysis and metrics
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Technical leadership experience in building complex software systems from scoping requirements to actual launch
- Proven experience in building large-scale, multi-tiered, distributed software systems
- Extensive experience in building web, mobile and/or machine learning applications
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan (stay aligned with the long term value you create)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Whatever computer, monitor, standing desk, keyboard mouse you need
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Contribute to open source projects (full support to release and contribute to projects)
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.
Want to learn more about Postmates? Visit https://postmates.com/
Jobs You May Like
Test Engineering Intern
Peloton, NY HQ
Director of Ecosystem Development
The Linux Foundation, San Francisco, CA
Senior Software Engineer - Commerce
Twitch, Seattle, WA
Sr. Software Engineer (C#.net, C++, TCP/IP)
thredUP, Mechanicsburg, PA
Magic Lab Intern
PlayStation, San Mateo, CA
Lead Data Engineer