Software Engineer: Backend (Payments)
Postmates, San Francisco
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
Passionate about building massively scalable systems? Want to work with a top class team of engineers ranging from new graduates to seasoned managers and architects? Want to make a billion-dollar impact? If so, here is an opportunity tailored for you.
Who are we?
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by providing a marketplace where consumers can purchase goods from any local restaurant or store and local couriers deliver the goods to their home in under an hour. Postmates has unlocked on-demand local shopping — providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order, and Postmates relies heavily on our engineering applications and systems to realize this vision. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 300+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our technical journey to build our technology stack in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What does this team do?
The payments team is a new team with the ambitious goal to build a brand new payment system to power the company’s payment and billing requirements at a tremendous growth pace. We recently announced $1 billion sales run rate. We will be developing and deploying new payment backend services that can help us to provide better experience to accept and make payments to everyone.
The new payment platform will make it easy for us to integrate with external payment processors, provide better payment experiences while being cost effective. We will also be building a brand new account management system that is dedicated to provide a better and consistent experience for scheduled billing and payouts. There are more on the roadmap and we are building a new team to solve the payment related problems.
What will you do?
You will be responsible for all aspects for product development. This not only includes design & coding of new services and algorithms, but also helping define the strategic direction for such systems. We are building the technology from ground up, so we are not tied to any one technology. Helping select the right technologies is part of the role. So is working with multiple internal and external distributed services. Finally, this being a new team, you’ll have lots of opportunities to help us build & grow the team via mentoring, hiring & training.
- Bachelors (BS/BE) in Computer Science or a related field
- 4+ years experience in building consumer-facing, large scale, web applications or services
- Top notch coding skills in one of Go/Python/Java/C++ coupled with strong base in object-oriented design, REST API/microservices and data modeling skills
- Experience integrating with relational databases such as Postgres, MySQL, etc.
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Sharp problem solving skills and ability to resolve ambiguous requirements
- Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement of code, systems, and processes through analysis and metrics.
- Masters in Computer Science or a related field
- Experience with payment, finance or accounting systems
- Technical leadership experience in building complex software systems from scoping requirements to actual launch
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in Financial District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.
Want to learn more about Postmates? Visit Postmates's website.
Jobs You May Like
TALA, Santa Monica
Senior Software Engineer, Data Science Platform
Instacart, San Francisco
Backend Services Engineer
Meteor Development Group, San Francisco
Zoox, Foster City, CA
Sales Engineer - NYC
Looker, New York
Data Platform Engineer
Qventus, Mountain View, CA