Sr. Government Relations Manager
Postmates, San Francisco
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
Postmates is on a mission to help people unlock the best of their cities -- and their lives, with an insanely reliable on-demand “anything” network. We’re the first and still leading company in the on-demand space -- with a fleet of +100,000 Postmates, the largest network of merchants in the U.S. and a brand that has become a verb in pop culture. We’re looking for people who aren’t afraid to be first -- or eccentric, and who are passionate about creating the new, “new.”
We are looking for a Senior Government Relations Manager. The ideal candidate will be passionate about Postmates & the on-demand economy, and have proven experience in managing teams and processes to build consensus among various stakeholders on rapidly evolving public policy issues. The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator with the ability to work with teams across the company to help anticipate, shape and better inform our public policy strategies -- as well as our communications strategies. Such a candidate may have developed their expertise through corporate, public, or nonprofit sectors. Experience in a campaign, local, state or federal government startup e-commerce, or other high-growth fast-paced environment would be an advantage. Experience in internal and external communications is a plus. Experience working on labor and workforce issues is highly preferred.
By putting tools in the hands of retailers so they that can compete in the era of e-commerce, by empowering individual make ends meet by earning additional income, and by enabling people to enjoy the experiences of the towns around them -- you will help tell the story of Postmates as it leads the future of the on-demand economy. This position will help lead the company’s overall public policy and government relations strategy, while elevating our policy leadership on a range of topics including the future of the workforce, next-generation technologies, government regulation, taxes, immigration and legal matters.
We are a high energy team with a passion for people, culture, smart & balanced regulations and great storytelling.
You must be a team player, a sharp writer, and savvy in building trust with external and internal stakeholders. You must be savvy and confident in capturing the attention of journalists when highlighting consumer facing elements of the brand; and you must bring empathy and creative support to communicating the public policy positions of the company. You are comfortable and confident working directly with executives, partners, governments, lawmakers, and journalists. We are looking for an effective and creative leader who has the ability to explain complex ideas in simple ways and can laugh at themselves at the sametime. This will be a permanent position based in San Francisco.
- Work with the Head of Public Policy & Strategic Communications to help build a cross-functional team business wide to develop, implement, and evaluate solutions to complex regulatory & policy issues.
- Support the implementation of Postmates’ policy priorities by mapping stakeholders at the local, state, and federal level.
- Build trusted relationships with various business and government stakeholders to foster consensus and build action plans.
- Drive creation of projects that will generate media interest across a range of issues including economic empowerment, sustainability, and social good.
- Conduct necessary research, writing, and other collaborative activities to ensure that high stakes business decisions are informed by current regulatory regimes.
- Manage policy development processes to ensure legislative and regulatory advocacy support the future growth of the business, across markets.
- Work with multiple stakeholders across the organization to support key Company objectives -- by leveraging, shaping and better articulating the brand across all channels and projects.
- At least 8+ years experience working with policy issues in a relevant business or non-governmental organization--or in a political, governmental or regulatory context. A mix of public and private sector experience is an advantage. Experience with complex labor and workforce issues preferred.
- Degree or advanced degree level in a related field. JD preferred but not necessary.
- Direct government relations experience with Members of Congress; State Legislators; Mayors and City Council Members.
- Direct policy experience, preferable in the following fields: labor & workforce; employment law; tax; smart cities; robotics and emerging technologies; data; climate sustainability; immigration; e-commerce/internet regulation.
- Excellent writing skills with the ability to draft and package top notch content on rapid deadlines.
- 2 or more years of on the record experience, earning media coverage across markets.
- Strong analysis and critical thinking skills; ability to resolve complex and unfamiliar problems in a creative manner.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several competing, and ability to influence people and manage issues effectively with little input or direction.
- Media and strategic campaign planning experience preferred.
- Unrivaled verbal communications skills with the ability to diplomatically advance a position with senior executives and customers of all stripes.
- Eccentricity required — you are not afraid to create new things and think differently. In fact, you kind of live for that.
- Scrap factor: You are great at making tough, fast decisions based on business objectives.
- Passion for Postmates and a sense of humor, preferred. Ok, required.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan (stay aligned with the long term value you create)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance and it’s 100% paid for by the company
- Tasty, healthy lunches
- Snack-filled kitchen (mostly healthy, but very tasty)
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Killer office in San Francisco close to mass transit
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.
Want to learn more about Postmates? Visit https://postmates.com/
Jobs You May Like
Director - Platform Architecture, EMEA
Pivotal Software, London
Human Resources Business Partner
Bluebird Bio, Cambridge, MA USA
Montessori Lead Children's House Guide (Teacher)
Guidepost Montessori, Now Hiring in Dallas, TX and Orange County, CA
Elastic, Anywhere, US
Senior Technical Instructor
Recruiting Programs & Operations Lead/Manager, Tech Recruiting
Flexport, San Francisco, CA