Senior Software Engineer, Backend
Postmates, San Francisco
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
At Postmates X, we are reimagining how things move in cities. Serve, our personable sidewalk delivery robot, is our vision for the future of delivery. It’s designed to take deliveries away from congested streets and onto underutilized alleys and sidewalks, to save energy, reduce emissions, reduce traffic, and make deliveries faster and cheaper. Why move two-pound burritos with two-ton cars?
Serve has been years in the making and has already done thousands of customer deliveries.
WHO ARE WE?
We are tech industry veterans in software, hardware and design who are pooling our individual talents together to build a legacy. Our team is inclusive, agile, and driven by a common purpose. We are solving real-world problems with machine learning, computer vision, and robotics, with a mindful eye towards the end-to-end user experience. By joining our team, you will help create the first robotic helpers entering our cities: moving alongside us and running our errands!
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
You will be enabling Postmates X to observe, manage and deploy our autonomous robotics fleet. This will include building and maintaining various aspects of the software stack: on-rover core, pilot user interface, telemetry monitoring, internal fleet management and dispatch tools. You will be working closely with the robot operators to learn from real deliveries and improve the ways we manage the fleet and individual robots. In this role you will be challenging yourself with hard problems from different technology fields such as robotics, networking, cutting edge browser technologies, video streaming, and distributed systems. Finally, you will own your software’s life cycle: development, building, testing, deploying and maintaining.
- 5+ years of experience as a Backend or Fullstack Engineer.
- Experience debugging live production systems.
- Experience building your own tools and infrastructure for improving the engineering velocity.
- Experience working with unreliable networks (for example, LTE).
- Self-motivation and the ability to turn high-level goals into shipped code.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) required
- Experience working on both client and server side.
- Experience with WebRTC or other video streaming protocols
- Experience with clouds like Google Cloud Platform or AWS.
- Experience with robotic systems.
- A demonstrated ability to work with design teams to build fantastic human-machine interfaces.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- 3 paid volunteer days to give back to the community
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in Financial District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.