Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Postmates, San Francisco
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
At Postmates X, we are reimagining how things move in cities. Serve, our personable sidewalk delivery robot, is our vision for the future of delivery. It’s designed to take deliveries away from congested streets and onto underutilized alleys and sidewalks, to save energy, reduce emissions, reduce traffic, and make deliveries faster and cheaper. Why move two-pound burritos with two-ton cars?
Serve has been years in the making and has already done thousands of customer deliveries.
WHO ARE WE?
We are tech industry veterans in software, hardware and design who are pooling our individual talents together to build a legacy. Our team is inclusive, agile, and driven by a common purpose. We are solving real-world problems with machine learning, computer vision, and robotics, with a mindful eye towards the end-to-end user experience. By joining our team, you will help create the first robotic helpers entering our cities: moving alongside us and running our errands!
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
You will Build and maintain all the aspects of the robotics middleware: communication and serialization, builds, testing frameworks, etc. You will own the process of building, testing and releasing the robotics software. Additionally, you will scale automated systems and build tools for monitoring, tracing, debugging, and deploying microservices running in containers. Finally, you will develop and integrate new hardware drivers and optimization strategies for compute-constrained hardware.
- 5+ years of experience as a Software Engineer.
- Experience creating widely used libraries in C++ and Python.
- Experience writing high-performance multi-core software.
- Solid understanding of transport protocols including TCP, UDP, HTTP/2, Websockets, etc.
- Experience building and maintaining complex multi-component distributed systems.
- Experience working with compute-constrained and embedded hardware.
- Self-motivation and the ability to turn high-level goals into shipped code.
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) required
- Experience designing and developing robotic middleware.
- Experience working with transports such as ZeroMQ, Nanomsg, DDS, gRPC, etc.
- Experience working with serialization libraries such as Protocol Buffers, Cap’n Proto, Flatbuffers, etc..
- Experience working with CUDA-based GPUs
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- 3 paid volunteer days to give back to the community
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in Financial District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.