Software Engineer, Robotics
Postmates, San Francisco
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
At Postmates X, we are reimagining how things move in cities. Serve, our personable sidewalk delivery robot, is our vision for the future of delivery. It’s designed to take deliveries away from congested streets and onto underutilized alleys and sidewalks, to save energy, reduce emissions, reduce traffic, and make deliveries faster and cheaper. Why move two-pound burritos with two-ton cars?
Serve has been years in the making and has already done thousands of customer deliveries.
WHO ARE WE?
We are tech industry veterans in software, hardware and design who are pooling our individual talents together to build a legacy. Our team is inclusive, agile, and driven by a common purpose. We are solving real-world problems with machine learning, computer vision, and robotics, with a mindful eye towards the end-to-end user experience. By joining our team, you will help create the first robotic helpers entering our cities: moving alongside us and running our errands!
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
You will be responsible for the development, integration and testing of software and libraries of various systems on our autonomous robots. You will work with a cross-functional team of engineers to help solve problems in areas such as route and path planning, perception, localization, calibration, infrastructure and machine learning. You will also work on video streaming and image processing pipelines. Finally, you will work on data acquisition, visualisation, and warehousing.
- Take ownership of major robotics system components from prototype to ship
- Touch on many topics including computer vision, control systems, embedded development, sensor fusion, navigation, and localization
- Contribute to high-level decision algorithms such as obstacle prediction models, avoiding curious pets, or finding a merchant’s front door
- Develop and maintain a wide range of software systems used by the rest of a complex robot platform to inform robot behavior, human interaction, and product goals
- Develop quick prototypes to prove ideas and then adapt them to production quality code that can ship at scale
- Balance research, cross-domain resources and product-driven milestones
- Support robust automation of development, deployment, operation, and investigation of services
- Minimum 3 years experience developing robotics software
- Passion for developing autonomous mobile robots or consumer-facing products
- Solid C++/Python foundation and a commitment to writing clean, well architected code
- Comfortable digging into a large codebase and understanding it quickly through a combination of experience and asking questions early and often
- Experience working with a wide array of sensors for robot perception and/or hardware for robot actuation
- Solid working understanding of coordinate transformations and kinematics
- Knowledge of control systems (e.g. PID, model predictive controls)
- Fluency in C++, Java, or Python
- Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Math, Physics, or related fields
- Experience developing real-time autonomous robotics applications
- Deep knowledge and experience with cameras and a wide variety of autonomy sensors
- Extensive experience with system integration and development on physical robots
- Understanding of machine learning strategies and how to apply them to robotics problems
- Experience with sensor calibration and misalignment compensation strategies
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
- Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
- Catered lunches and open snack bar
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
- Full support to contribute to open source projects
- Awesome office located in SOMA just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.