Software Engineer, Android
Postmates, San Francisco, Los Angeles
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
WHO WE ARE
Postmates enables anyone to have just about anything on-demand. We pioneered the on-demand space and currently serve 3500+ cities with a fleet of more than 350,000 Postmates and the largest network of merchants in the US. We’re changing the landscape of commerce by making cities our warehouses, providing the delivery infrastructure, and connecting our customers to any product, anywhere, anytime. Postmates isn’t just an app, it’s a way of life and a part of pop culture. We are the O.G. of on-demand and we’ve given people a new superpower — the ability to Postmate anything from anywhere. We’re building a movement to make Postmates a verb: Postmate it.
WHAT WE DO
Postmates relies heavily on our engineering team to realize this vision. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates is a three-part balancing act connecting customers, merchants, and couriers in real-time. If any piece is out of whack, the whole system suffers. Working with the Postmates engineering team offers an opportunity with explosive growth, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter, and a cool user-focused product vision.
Android Engineers will work on 3 Android apps here at Postmates: the Buyer, Fleet, and Merchant apps. Engineers have high impact and are relied upon to own end-to-end deployment/support of our applications. Ideal candidates should have developed several native Android applications with complex functionality and significant user bases. Bonus points if you've worked with Kotlin, Jetpack Architecture Components, RxJava, Retrofit, or Dagger. Experience with Go, Python, or Google Protocol Buffers is a plus. Check out some of our open source work here and here!
- Write clean, robust, modularized code to build product and engineering features
- Create and maintain testing infrastructure for unit & automated UI tests
- Improve product quality through code reviews and adopting best practices
- Be a thoughtful leader by researching and evangelizing emerging mobile technologies and sharing that knowledge with colleagues
- Manage releases -- creating builds, working with QA, fixing bugs, and monitoring the release
- Build prototypes to quickly demonstrate new features and product ideas
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in building mobile applications
- Experience developing and shipping one or more Android apps on Google Play
- Deep understanding of Java / Kotlin and the Android SDK
- Ability to get things done and work in an area outside of your comfort zone
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Sharp problem-solving skills and ability to resolve ambiguous requirements
- Bachelor's degree or experience equivalent
OUR PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience developing mobile applications that serve millions of users
- Experience developing and optimizing top-notch UI
- Experience instrumenting and optimizing performance
Postmates has your back. In our impact-first work environment, we value huge company vision. As you strive to build the future with us, we’ll support you with:
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan.
- Access to the Postmates 401(k) plan.
- 100% coverage for employees medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 95% coverage for dependents medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for qualified out-of-pocket health care costs.
- Flexible time off policy under which Postmates will not limit paid time off for vacations or to handle personal affairs. (Salaried US Employees)
- 16 days paid time off and 7 days paid sick leave (Hourly US Employees; amount of paid sick leave depends on state).
- 3 days paid time to volunteer through CivicLabs and positively impact the communities we serve.
- Generous parental leave including flexible transition plans, Postmates meal credit, and subsidized access to the Milk Store, Urban Sitter, and Concern.
- Free and confidential counseling resources through an Employee Assistance Program.
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits for parking or transit fees.
- A free subscription to Postmates Unlimited.
- Catered lunches, open snack bar, and subsidized Postmates Pickup meals.
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.