Engineering Manager, Risk
Postmates, San Francisco
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
Why compromise? Finally an opportunity that your engineering heart, your career, your mentor and your family can be excited about at the same time! Yes, a job that has it all, i.e., explosive growth, ground-floor architecture, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter and a cool vision that you can boast about.
Who are we?
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by providing a marketplace where consumers can purchase goods from any local restaurant or store and local couriers deliver the goods to their home in minutes. Postmates has unlocked on-demand local shopping — providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order, and Postmates relies heavily on our engineering applications and systems to realize this vision. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 300+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our technical journey to build our technology stack in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What does this team do?
Serving a three-way marketplace (buyer, courier, merchant) and operating via four platforms: web, iOS, Android and partner APIs, poses extremely challenging risk & identity problems. Our business moves products, money, and people in the real world and requires world class protection. The risk organization protects users’ accounts & privacy, detects and prevents fraud on all three verticals, and supports the development of secure products.
What will you do?
- Lead one or more teams of engineers building real time defenses based on business logic and machine learning, with supporting infrastructure
- Partner with product management, analytics, data science and other engineering leaders to build and deliver comprehensive defenses
- Lead technical design and architecture and make important decisions with far reaching consequences
- Provide guidance and support for engineers to help them execute well everyday
- Grow the teams via hiring & mentoring
- Education in hard science: CS, Engineering, Math, Physics et al
- 5+ years of experience in building impactful and technically complex software systems in startup companies
- 2+ years of experience as tech lead (not looking for a “people manager” 10x)
- Proven expertise in building large-scale applications, distributed systems and data pipelines
- Experience in highly available, mission critical component development
- Experience in engineering systems for real time business decisions and ML models
- Experience in data-intensive systems involving many sources of different nature
- Domain knowledge in risk management, identity, credit card fraud, security
- Good understanding of data science and machine learning
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.
Want to learn more about Postmates? Visit Postmates's website.
Jobs You May Like
Part Time Shop Supervisor
Outdoor Voices, Nashville, TN
Support Team Leader
Yotpo, Tel Aviv-Yafo
Software Development Manager
Senior Product Marketing Manager, Kibana
Elastic, Distributed, Global
Yelp, San Francisco, CA
US Escalation Manager
Pivotal Software, Raleigh