Software Engineer, Infrastructure & Site Reliability
Postmates, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Bellevue, Remote
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
WHO WE ARE
Postmates enables anyone to have just about anything on-demand. We pioneered the on-demand space and currently serve 3500+ cities with a fleet of more than 350,000 Postmates and the largest network of merchants in the US. We’re changing the landscape of commerce by making cities our warehouses, providing the delivery infrastructure, and connecting our customers to any product, anywhere, anytime. Postmates isn’t just an app, it’s a way of life and a part of pop culture. We are the O.G. of on-demand and we’ve given people a new superpower — the ability to Postmate anything from anywhere. We’re building a movement to make Postmates a verb: Postmate it.
WHAT WE DO
Postmates relies heavily on our engineering team to realize this vision. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates is a three-part balancing act connecting customers, merchants, and couriers in real-time. If any piece is out of whack, the whole system suffers. Working with the Postmates engineering team offers an opportunity with explosive growth, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter, and a cool user-focused product vision.
This team includes Infrastructure Engineers, Database Infrastructure Engineers, and Site Reliability Engineers who work to keep the platform running and make every engineer at Postmates more effective. This means writing software to help us scale in addition to identifying patterns, tools and processes to increase our performance and reliability as we grow. We need engineers with deep technical knowledge and experience with complex systems and performance. Every day you’ll be making our services and our processes better!
- Server: Python, Go, Erlang
- Cloud: AWS, GCP
- Databases: BigTable, Postgres, DynamoDB
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, etcd, Consul, Terraform, Prometheus, Grafana, Vault, nginx
We like to use the full set of tools and services available to us from Amazon Web Services to build out new functionality in a service-oriented environment. You will be building the foundation that Postmates Engineering depends on using modern immutable infrastructure patterns. We make extensive use of Python, Django and Go.
- Create and maintain the foundational infrastructure services running Postmates services run on:
- Public cloud
- Kubernetes and containers
- Application performance analysis and monitoring
- Service monitoring
- Immutable infrastructure patterns and tools
- Continuous Integration and Deployment
- Provide expertise and guidance to other engineers regarding topics such as:
- Distributed Systems
- UNIX Operating Systems
- System networking
- Application and system optimizations
- Application and system level security
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience) required
- Minimum of 4 years of experience developing and managing horizontally scalable and fault-tolerant distributed systems in production at scale
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills along with a keen sense of empathy
- Strong knowledge of UNIX/Linux, and experience working with open source software
- Experience with containerization and/or virtualization
- Knowledge of modern web architecture (HTTP, REST, gRPC)
- Strong knowledge of (and opinions about) DevOps
- Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting abilities
- Production experience with SQL databases and/or noSQL datastores, Postgres a plus
- Public cloud experience
- Software engineering experience, preferably in Python or Go
- Experience with automation, tuning, and optimization of datastore systems
Postmates has your back. In our impact-first work environment, we value huge company vision. As you strive to build the future with us, we’ll support you with:
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan.
- Access to the Postmates 401(k) plan.
- 100% coverage for employees medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- 95% coverage for dependents medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Account (FSA) for qualified out-of-pocket health care costs.
- Flexible time off policy under which Postmates will not limit paid time off for vacations or to handle personal affairs. (Salaried US Employees)
- 16 days paid time off and 7 days paid sick leave (Hourly US Employees; amount of paid sick leave depends on state).
- 3 days paid time to volunteer through CivicLabs and positively impact the communities we serve.
- Generous parental leave including flexible transition plans, Postmates meal credit, and subsidized access to the Milk Store, Urban Sitter, and Concern.
- Free and confidential counseling resources through an Employee Assistance Program.
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefits for parking or transit fees.
- A free subscription to Postmates Unlimited.
- Catered lunches, open snack bar, and subsidized Postmates Pickup meals.
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.