Software Engineer, Site Reliability
Postmates, San Francisco, CA
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
Engineering at Postmates
We’re building groundbreaking tech solutions that power our revolutionary logistics platform to help connect millions of customers with their favorite merchants every day. We’re tackling some of the most complex technical challenges in the modern logistics space to unlock opportunities that positively impact the local businesses and communities we serve.
WHAT WE DO
Postmates relies heavily on our engineering team to realize this vision. Building a software platform that is reliable, scales, and stays agile under demanding product needs is a serious technical challenge. Postmates is a three-part balancing act connecting customers, merchants, and couriers in real-time. If any piece is out of whack, the whole system suffers. Working with the Postmates engineering team offers an opportunity with explosive growth, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter, and a cool user-focused product vision.
This team includes Infrastructure Engineers, Database Infrastructure Engineers, and Site Reliability Engineers who work to keep the platform running and make every engineer at Postmates more effective. This means writing software to help us scale in addition to identifying patterns, tools and processes to increase our performance and reliability as we grow. We need engineers with deep technical knowledge and experience with complex systems and performance. Every day you’ll be making our services and our processes better!
- Server: Python, Go, Erlang
- Cloud: AWS, GCP
- Databases: BigTable, Postgres, DynamoDB
- Infrastructure: Kubernetes, etcd, Consul, Terraform, Prometheus, Grafana, Vault, nginx
We like to use the full set of tools and services available to us from Google Cloud Platform to build out new functionality in a service-oriented environment. You will be building the foundation that Postmates Engineering depends on using modern immutable infrastructure patterns. We make extensive use of Python, Django and Go.
- Create and maintain the foundational infrastructure services running Postmates services run on:
- Public cloud
- Kubernetes and containers
- Application performance analysis and monitoring
- Service monitoring
- Immutable infrastructure patterns and tools
- Continuous Integration and Deployment
- Provide expertise and guidance to other engineers regarding topics such as:
- Distributed Systems
- UNIX Operating Systems
- System networking
- Application and system optimizations
- Application and system level security
- Experience with highly-scaled, complex distributed systems
- Strong coding skills in languages such as Python or Go
- Demonstrated experience building and monitoring systems that monitor performance
- Demonstrated experience with deployment technologies like Kubernetes, Terraform, Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Docker, etc.
- Knowledge of modern web architecture (HTTP, REST, gRPC)
- Ability to support and advise Postmates engineering teams
- Experience with systems debugging
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience required
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.
Want to learn more about Postmates? Visit Postmates's website.
Payroll Services. Benefits. Compliance.