Senior Applied Scientist, Operations Technology
Delivery from all your favorites places on-demand
Why compromise? Finally, an opportunity that your data science heart, your career, your mentor and your family can be excited about at the same time! Yes, a job that has it all, i.e., explosive growth, ground-floor product, cutting-edge techniques, a highly visible charter and a cool vision that you can boast about.
Who are we?
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by providing a marketplace where consumers can purchase goods from any local restaurant or store and local couriers deliver the goods to their home in minutes. Postmates has unlocked on-demand local shopping — providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 300+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our data science journey to build our intelligence in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What does this team do?
We didn’t make Postmates a billion dollar business, but our customers did. Operations Technology teams are the technical engines that support Postmates’ mission of anything, anytime and anywhere. We build the software and services that touch every Postmates customer and innovate solutions for logistics, delivery and customer service. We stretch the limits of big data processing to solve some of the hardest technical problems and unprecedented scale challenges. Now we're ready to leverage data science to take our mission to the next level.
What will you do?
As the first Applied Scientist on the team, your responsibilities not only include research, analysis, modeling and coding, but also defining the strategic direction for our products and teams. Mastering the latest trend of data science and infrastructure, selecting the right methodologies and envisioning a long-term architecture is part of the role. So is recommending the next set of big bold bets we shall tackle based on insights from data. Finally, this being a new team, you’ll have lots of opportunities to help us build & grow the team via mentoring, hiring & training.
To accomplish this, you are expected to have an established background in building highly intelligent models in a production environment, great analysis and reporting skills, strong product & technology vision, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. You should be somebody who enjoys working on massive data, is customer-centric, and feels strongly about creating good models as well as delivering the impact of them to the end users.
- Bachelors in Computer Science or a related field
- 7+ years of industry experience
- Proven experience in building machine learning models in a large-scale distributed system environment, from opportunity inception to impact delivery
- Strong coding skills in Python/Go/Java/C++/C#
- Extensive experience defining and delivering on complex analytical deep dives to unblock insights from data
- Demonstrated experience in articulating ambiguous business questions and developing differentiating metrics
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences
- Strong sense of ownership and drive
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Machine Learning or a related field
- Extensive experience in building prediction, forecasting and/or automated voice systems.
- Competitive salary and generous stock option plan (stay aligned with the long-term value you create)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Whatever computer, monitor, standing desk, keyboard mouse you need
- Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
- Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
Postmates is transforming the way local goods move around a city by enabling anyone to get any product delivered in under an hour. Available for iPhone, Android and on the web, the on-demand logistics service connects customers with local couriers, who purchase and deliver goods from any restaurant or store in a city, 24/7.
Want to learn more about Postmates? Visit Postmates's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer (DevOps)
Andela, Cairo, Egypt, Lagos, Nigeria, Nairobi, Kenya, New York City, USA
Nortal, U.S., Kirkland, WA
Sr. Front-End Engineer
ValiMail, San Francisco
Senior iOS Engineer - Revenue
Tinder, Los Angeles or Palo Alto
Senior DevOps Engineer
Security Software Engineer
Dropbox, San Francisco, CA