Director of Product Design (Remote in Europe)
Presentation software that brings your ideas to life and makes you a great presenter
Prezi is a visual communication platform that helps customers craft and deliver engaging and meaningful presentations, infographics and videos in business and education. We believe in the power of visual communication and that creating beautiful, dynamic, visual content should be a simple and fun experience, even for people without design experience. With the worlds’ largest library of reusable presentations, Prezi is also an important resource of knowledge and visual building blocks for learning, research and content creation.
Prezi is a design-led company, and we are searching for a Director of Product Design to help us lead and grow our UX Design organization. If you are an experienced design director that can lead, manage, and inspire an amazing team of talented product designers working in cross-functional teams, then we want to hear from you!
Our product designers are embedded as members of agile teams with responsibilities to collaborate with Engineering and Product Management to own end-to-end design for their teams. They conceptualize, prototype, and deliver engaging (and validated!) user experiences that delight and empower our users. The team currently consists of 7 product designers (with plans to hire 4 more before the end of the year). Prezi has gone remote-first, and while most of our designers are in our three hubs (Budapest, Berlin, and Riga), a few are remote in the rest of Europe, and we are hiring remotely as well.
Prezi has offices in Berlin, Budapest, Riga, and San Francisco, but we are a virtual first company. For this position, we are looking for someone in the EU and UK time zones, so you’ll have the flexibility to work remotely from anywhere from the European continent. You'll be reporting to the VP of Product Design, Jeremy Eccles.
You should possess strong design, communication, leadership, operational, and management skills and have a proven track record of building healthy and sustainable product design teams that deliver with excellence.
As a Director of Design you will:
- Lead Product Design in a design-led company.
- Work closely with the VP Design, Principal Product Designer, and Director of UX Research to set the direction of the UX Design Organization and the design vision for Prezi’s products and Prezi as a whole.
- Attract and retain a diverse team of highly talented product designers with a well-balanced range across purposefully chosen skill sets.
- Evolve a thriving culture where product designers grow in their careers and feel a strong sense of belonging.
- Partner closely with a world-class team of product managers, designers, engineers, user experience researchers, data analysts, and product marketing managers to strive for product/market fit while delivering high quality experiences that are tested, validated, deliverable, and delightful.
- Set quality standards and implement process improvements to support them.
- Offer regular feedback and guidance on emerging work.
- Oversee and manage workload of product designers, proactively working on resolving blockers and capacity issues.
- Compassionately lead product designers with weekly 1:1 meetings to make sure they are engaged, equipped, and growing.
- Help facilitate team meetings, design critiques, design sprints and workshops
- Manage the hiring of top product design talent: defining hiring criteria and process, drafting job descriptions, running interviews and evaluation of candidates
- Manage merit and promotion cases including the competency framework for product design levelling and a regular formal review process.
- Manage product design budget and resourcing.
- Collaborate closely with marketing and branding on shared design problems such as driving a branded Prezi experience from first touch on Prezi.com through the fine details of our products.
- Work with the rest of UX design and PM leadership to set product and design vision.
- Join into- and collaborate with- company leadership on strategy, roadmap, budget, culture, and goals.
- Represent customer needs and be a passionate advocate for high product quality and usability standards.
- Help build Prezi’s design culture company wide: evangelising design principles, processes, and methods internally in Prezi.
- Lead product designers to achieve small and large, short-term and long-term successes.
- Care about and help maintain product designers’ work/life balance as they deliver professional, high-quality work.
- Lead a product design practice that is healthy and sustainable.
- Help product designers function in their strengths; discovering them and doing what they do best every day
- Help product designers understand and connect with Prezi’s purpose, goals, and values
- Continue efforts to constantly improve, establish, and maintain great processes and ways of working
- Drive efficiency through better approval processes and minimizing repetitive tasks.
- Champion UX Research and help product designers incorporate it at every step of the design process.
- Constantly inspire the people around you to do their best work and be the best versions of themselves.
- Support and guide product designers in personal and professional development
- Meet needs, alleviate pain, solve problems, and remove obstacles.
- Provide hope and inspiration even in difficult times.
- Work cross-functionally with other leaders in Product Management, Engineering, Product Marketing, Branding, Sales, and Customer Support to align, collaborate, advocate for good design and processes, and strive for success together.
- Help facilitate communication, documentation and transparency between cross-functional teams.
- Help improve the UX Design org’s use of tools and processes such as Design Thinking and Design Sprints.
- Help product designers grow as professionals and guide them in directions where they feel engaged and comfortable moving forward.
- Help product designers feel confident that they are doing a good job.
- Help the UX Design org to be stronger than ever; functioning as a well-oiled machine with clear direction, alignment, and ownership so that product designers know exactly who should work on what, when, and why.
- Facilitate product designers tracking and clarifying their tasks in Jira so that they can understand their velocities, communicate their work loads and needs with each other and their teams, manage priorities, and strategically manage their time.
- Support the creation and adoption of the Design System.
To be successful you will need
- A deep passion for design
- A drive to deliver amazing user experiences
- The ability to lead with trust, compassion, stability, and hope
- Strong management and operational skills
- Experience in being a builder and developer of people
- Eagerness to grow and empower your product design team
- To be a bringer of joy and delight into their work of your team, and to our products
- Experience in working with empowered, cross-functional product teams, with the leadership skills to align around a shared vision, and design principles
- A minimum 4+ years of total design experience,
- A minimum 1+ years of experience leading and managing direct reports
- Significant experience in leading multiple teams and initiatives simultaneously
- A track record shipping successful products
- A collaborative mindset that treats ego as the enemy
- A calm, confident demeanor
- The ability to lead complex design topics, scaling your presence from clearly synthesizing and communicating a design vision to addressing project and organizational issues
- An informed set of design principles from shipping and learning throughout your career, and a demonstrated ability to operate from a first-principles perspective
- A deep understanding of human-centered design practices and how to leverage product design to solve complex business problems
- Senior people management, team development, recruiting, and org building experience
- Experience building relationships with leadership across an organization (with marketing, sales, customer experience, etc.), and comfort in influencing major strategic decisions
What's in it for you?
Join an awesome team in a design-led company who highly appreciates good and visual communication, who believes that together we are greater than the sum of our parts, and who deeply cares about those around us.
We offer a competitive salary, a culture where you can be yourself, flexible working hours in our beautiful office environments or from home. Healthcare coverage, paid sabbatical leave, top of the line equipment.
At Prezi, we celebrate the diversity of our customers and our employees. We employ people from all backgrounds to build a product for everyone. We are looking for people who will bring in their different perspectives and help us on our mission to reinvent how people share knowledge, tell stories, and inspire their audiences.
If you are into visual communication, love to be a part of a team, and care about those around you, we encourage you to apply with your CV and up-to-date portfolio.
Prezi is the cloud-based presentation platform that helps you connect more powerfully with your audience. Unlike traditional slides, Prezi’s open canvas allows you to navigate through topics freely, encouraging interaction and collaboration between you and your viewers. The result is conversational presentations that are more natural, more engaging, and more memorable.
Want to learn more about Prezi? Visit Prezi's website.
Come join the Gemini team and help us build the future of money!