Business Intelligence (BI) Developer
Prodigy Finance, Cape Town
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Business Intelligence Developer
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$500 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 160 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced BI Developer who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by many pre-eminent institutions, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
Prodigy is looking for an experienced BI Developer to join the Business Intelligence team in developing and executing a structured data analytics program across the business. You will need to gain a complete understanding of all our available data sources, execute data gathering and cleaning, analytics and metrics reporting, as well as collaborating with the technical team on database software and design. The ideal candidate will possess experience in the financial services industry delivering accurate and actionable analytical information, have an inquisitive nature, a strong commitment to privacy and professional ethics, a customer service orientation and a flexible, entrepreneurial approach to solving problems.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Working with Microsoft SQL Server and Postgres databases hosted on the Amazon AWS cloud platform
- Write and debug advanced T-SQL, including functions, stored procedures and creating and maintaining tables, views, and data structures
- Working with Amazon Redshift and understanding AWS Data Analytics Products
- Adapt ETL code to accommodate changes in source data and for the delivery of new business reporting requirements
- Document in detail the ETL design and test results
- Make changes to existing reports / testing and the creation of new reports as required
- Managing the ongoing maintenance of data in support of our complex global business
- Developing and implementing data collection and reporting systems that optimise data efficiency with a focus on data quality
- Acquiring data from primary or secondary data sources and maintaining databases
- Interpreting data, analysing results and providing ongoing reports
- Ad hoc data requests involving data cleaning and data migration will also be required of you
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- In depth working knowledge of server products
- Advanced SQL programming skills
- Experience with data-warehousing
- A minimum of 3 years professional experience in a data-centered role (finance industry preferred)
- A degree in IT/Computer Science/Information Systems or a similar discipline
- Working knowledge of relational databases, database development and data reporting software
- Strong communication skills as you’ll be working with varying skill sets and different parts of the business
- Must be adaptable to change and the fast pace of a dynamic company
- An individual capable of working alongside a tech team but also capable of working in isolation to deliver data requirements
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Experience using Amazon Redshift. The BI team is transitioning to a cloud-based data warehouse and experience in this space will be valuable to the team
- Any Tableau or Qlikview experience is a bonus
- Start-up experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as you set up processes and frameworks for us to grow into. If you haven’t worked in a start-up before, you need to show us that you have a real desire and potential to be successful in a young, high- growth, non-corporate company.
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Business Intelligence Developer? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.
Want to learn more about Prodigy Finance? Visit Prodigy Finance's website.
Jobs You May Like
QA Engineering Intern - Fall 2019
Datto, Boston, MA
Senior AI Researcher
Unbabel, Lisbon, Portugal
Acquia, Pune, India
Staff Software Engineer, Desktop Engineering
Box, Redwood City, CA
Senior Software Engineer (Full Stack)
Index Exchange, Toronto (Downtown)
Senior Product Designer
Samsara, San Francisco