Prodigy Finance, Cape Town
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$600 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 190 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, AlphaCode, Goldman Sachs, M&G, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced Frontend Engineer who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast-growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
- Enjoy a real work/life balance where there is more to development than deadlines
What you will do in the role
- Develop features and ongoing maintenance of a portal web app in accordance with business requirements
- Coordinating with other tech teams, as well as other business stakeholders to flesh-out features and deliver them
- You will work closely with your team including other software engineers, product owners, designers and other members of the broader Prodigy Finance team to help drive the web strategy, providing a self-service opportunity for our customers
- You will help decide and plan which features we will build, and how they are architected and implemented
- Work closely with UI/UX team to create compelling web specific user interfaces and experiences
- Drive the UI capacity of the company forward
What you will be measured on
- Technical acumen and attention to detail – this encompasses both the code written, tests written, and the work done with UI teams to create a well-polished application
- Working with our product owners, design and UX minds to ensure that we deliver continuous value to our growing base of customers
- Critical judgement; become a trusted and respected member of the team
- How ready you are to assist others in learning front-end skills (both juniors and developers completely new to front-end)
- Participation in Agile practices – XP/Scrum etc., review and retrospectives
- Understanding of cross-browser inconsistencies and how to address them
- Ability to create code that is understandable by the whole team
What you need to be great at
- Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
- Coding and creating with HTML, (S)CSS, JS (ES5, ES6 and Babel), Vue.JS, Python/Ruby and REST APIs
- Understanding the importance of code testing and testing your own code
- Keeping UI in mind when building and designing
- Ability to take a feature or product all the way from conception to release
- Teamwork and team spirit; be more motivated by the achievements of the whole team
- Getting up to the front of the bus; get stuck in, execute, generate ideas, have an impact, don’t just sit back and be a passenger
- Attention to detail – you want to make things look good
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- 2 – 4 years’ experience in front-end web development
- Python/Ruby (or other OOP) language experience
- Experience working in a Scrum environment
- Experience integrating with backend APIs
- Experience testing your own code (Mocha)
- Strong appreciation for UI/UX standards and a passion for developing beautiful interfaces
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Experience working with React (Dom and Native)
- Ideally you are language agnostic and eager to try out new languages as needed
- PHP/Scripting experience
- Experience working in a highly collaborative team
- Interest in web performance, accessibility, browser compatibility and ‘mobile-first development’
- Start-up experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance, so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as we continue to grow
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Frontend Developer? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.