Financial Product Manager
Prodigy Finance, Cape Town or London
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$500 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 160 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, AlphaCode, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced Financial Product Manager who wants to supercharge their career by leading part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company. We’re looking for someone who already understands the financial industry (ideally with an understanding of loan products, especially student loans), but wants more ‘FinTech’ in their life than ‘corporate bank’.
That doesn’t mean that we don’t take things seriously or at scale - we do - but we don’t stand much on convention, as software and usability have moved on a lot in the last 25 years. You know this, and you’d be excited to help a startup full of nice, smart people to take business away from those banks with inflexible, impersonal loan products. You’ll be at the forefront of creating a new financial engine for a social investment company to change the world. On top of this, you’ll be surrounded by a set of other fantastic product people, including strong mentorship from management who has worked in top-tier global companies.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle (probably more) and have a huge influence on scaling the company, and we will demand that you create a large impact on the business.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position is based in either Cape Town or London, but will likely have to travel frequently between them.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
The Financial Product Manager will be a specialist in the Product organisation, helping create our core product: the loan itself. You’ll help set policy, determine pricing, understand the loan market and its segmentation, manage risk, funding allocation, and leverage many more financial and technical skills to create a great offering.
You will gather and prioritise product and customer requirements, set objectives and key results, define the short- and long-term product roadmaps and work closely with the Funding, Technology, Finance, Risk and Legal teams to continue to deliver outstanding products.
Specific responsibilities are to:
- Be a product visionary for financial products in the company, working with other senior leaders to help set company goals and strategy and helping mentor and coach other Product Managers within the team in the finance domain
- Solve the product issues found in company’s most difficult long-lived, cross-functional and nebulous business objectives around the financial product, by working closely with executives, other stakeholders, and cross-functional teams
- Have a good understanding of the educational loan market, from competitive analysis to user segmentation, and drive this understanding through the business
- Leverage data science and build financial models to simulate the financial product. For example, factoring in cost of living differences in terms of repayment data or tax thresholds, etc.
- Be a strong advocate for user needs across all functional areas, and help maintain the proper intersection of user needs with implementation and business needs
- Manage the product objectives, key results and roadmap for your assigned business area; ensure these dovetail into the company’s commercial strategy
- Work directly alongside your Development teams and partner Product teams, driving the product backlog and prioritisation
- Work closely with other Product members, Marketing, and the User Experience team to design and execute user research
- Communicate and clarify your product goals and achievements with management and across all business functions, then reflect any changes, learnings and feedback for continuous improvement of the product and the company
- Take a metrics-orientated approach to obtaining and analysing user feedback and be the user advocate within your team and across the entire company
- Develop artefacts to drive all your work forward, including requirements documents, use cases, personas, white papers, demos and presentations, and distribute these effectively throughout the organisation to ship value for the company and bring kudos to your teams
What you will be measured on
- Your ability to collect and disseminate market insights around loan products and use these to generate and drive roadmaps across the business for changes to the company’s loan products
- Your ability to generate value by shipping effective products against that roadmap that delight users, on time, and without contention
- Setting financial product strategy across the entire organisation and align product development to strategy
- Effective leadership to the product org and entire company, helping everyone understand and build innovative financial products
- Identify and build new business opportunities within your product domain and across the company
- Your ability to lead data-driven decision making across the company
- Your ability to help the company learn about the market through competitive analysis, segmentation, and user testing
- Your ability to lead by influence and negotiation to successful outcomes, and build strong relationships across the company
What you need to be great at
- Personal stature, gravitas, a relationship builder; influencer; excellent communication and interpersonal skills across a number of stakeholder groups
- Expertise and experience with managing financial products in a regulated environment, especially loans, including modelling and using data to understand the market for our product
- Developing excellent working relationship with Engineering teams to deliver world-class software products in an efficient manner
- Technical acumen; able to learn new paradigms quickly, and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
- Excellent critical judgment; able to make good decisions, be trusted, respected and dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritise and plan workloads for the team
- Analytical thinking capability; logical, systematic, strategic and pragmatic
- Strong attention to detail; both quantitative and qualitative; can process large amounts of data from disparate sources
- Able to learn new concepts and business issues quickly
- A strong advocate of agile practices and software development life-cycles with the ability to educate the wider business teams on the development process
- Bias to action; create ideas, think outside the box
- Problem-solver and solution finder, proactive, use initiative to develop and improve
- Structured in an unstructured environment; highly organised, ability to multi-task and project manage. Can correctly prioritise multiple issues, opportunities and creates structure, systems and processes from scratch
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- Finance, business or engineering degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of financial product management experience, ideally a combination of technical and financial product experience
- Financial background or financial services experience
- An executor who has demonstrable success in owning delivery, where you have needed to understand commercial goals, think strategically and balance the desire to create an end product which is beautiful but where quality and functionality are equally as important
- Proven track record of a role where you live and breathe customer experience, the end to end journey, UX and UI
- Track record of delivering a mass-market consumer product or service via a bespoke tech (digital) platform
- Track record of delivering complex projects with agile development teams, (with a firm personal belief and business strategy of MVP and test, iterate, test, iterate)
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- A FinTech background or experience working within a high growth financial services business or within the alternative lending sector
- Business analyst experience, specifically in financial modelling
- Startup experience, or experience with complex ambiguous environments
- A computer science background including some development experience
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Financial Product Manager? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.
Want to learn more about Prodigy Finance? Visit Prodigy Finance's website.
Jobs You May Like
Index Exchange, Toronto (Downtown)
Director of Product Management, Shopper Experience
Freelancer UI/UX Design (m/f/d)
Senior Product Owner [Activity]
Senior Software Engineer, Machine Learning
Quantcast, San Francisco
Senior Product Manager