Prodigy Finance, Cape Town
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$600 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 190 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, AlphaCode, Goldman Sachs, M&G, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced Quantitative Analyst who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
- Create and improve Prodigy’s models that evaluate customer credit risk at a variety of stages in the credit lifecycle with a focus on portfolio credit risk management
- Help improve our collections strategy, analysis and efficiency
- Understand, maintain and help improve Prodigy’s impairment methodology and model
- Produce vintage analysis and produce deep dives into pockets of risk
- Work with the Credit Risk Portfolio team to help produce models that enable stress testing of the portfolio
- Research market/industry, and prepare comparisons of Prodigy’s portfolio to other student loan provider credit risk metrics
What you will be measured on
- Improved lending portfolio health through strategy improvements (% arrears, defaults)
- Your capacity to produce insights and analysis that helps improve Prodigy Finance’s strategy
- Your skill at communicating complex ideas and strategy proposals to non-credit risk specialists
- Ensuring compliance with loan management policies and lender credit covenants/triggers
- Ensuring we continue to have an IFRS9 compliant impairment model
What you need to be great at
- An outstanding ability to model and analyse parts of a complex business and its products and then help the business understand all the ‘so what?’ questions that follow from good analytics
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to handle a wide variety of non-credit stakeholders
- Startup DNA; Resilient, gets things done, adaptable to change, huge capacity for hard work in a relentlessly fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail; logical, systematic, relentless focus on 100% accuracy, with a focus on errorless and perfectly presented documentation
- Problem-solving aptitude; Able to conduct research to define problems and prepare responses to anticipated questions and queries. Able to make logical conclusions, anticipate obstacles, and consider different approaches during the decision-making process
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Finance, dual Economic/Finance or Engineering
- Strong experience in a Risk/Quantitative Analyst role within a consumer credit environment
- 3-5 years of credit analysis experience
- Proficiency working with financial models, data-mining and statistical tools such as SAS, SQL, WPS or R as well as Excel based financial models
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Startup experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as we continue to grow
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Quantitative Analyst? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.
Want to learn more about Prodigy Finance? Visit Prodigy Finance's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Software Engineer, Insights Platform - Data Platform
Grand Rounds, San Francisco, CA
Project Manager, Ecommerce Delivery
MyFitnessPal, Baltimore, MD
Director of Sales
HeadSpin, Melbourne, Australia
Senior Product Designer
Lightspeed, Amsterdam, NL
Instacart, San Francisco, CA
Junior Software Engineer
FormSwift, San Francisco, CA