Credit Risk Portfolio Manager
Prodigy Finance, London
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Credit Risk Portfolio Manager
Prodigy Finance - Who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$500 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 120 countries.
Our team of 140 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, AlphaCode, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced, confident and results driven individual who thrives in a complex environment and who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
We are a non-hierarchical, non-corporate team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have an influence on building the company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world. The platform is complex - it has to be, because we make it possible for students from more than 100 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with everyone in the business around the world on a regular basis. Being an organisation that’s passionate about education; we place a high value on learning and personal growth, so you’ll have time to learn new skills in work time and at the company’s expense.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding - exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed Fintech startup, backed by top VCs and global debt funders, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
Due to our continued growth and success, we are looking for an experienced and well rounded credit risk professional with proven experience in financial services in order to manage the credit risk performance of our fast-growing student-loans’ portfolio. You will be fully accountable for setting Prodigy Finance’s credit risk management policies and practices. The ideal candidate would be pragmatic and results focused, knowing how to work with a highly educated, mobile and rapidly growing customer base, originating from over 118 countries. Going forward this role will be instrumental in taking credit risk practices to the next level as well as building on necessary foundations given exponential growth in new students, a growing repayment book and an increasing amount of transactional level data.
You will need to develop strategies that will ensure we treat customers with respect, and courtesy; and equally importantly in line with FCA guidelines of CONC, TCF and other codes of conduct and ethics (e.g. CSA). You will also spend a significant proportion of time engaging with potential and existing debt investors and field questions with regards to the performance of the portfolio and its underlying assets.
The role will be focussed on and responsible for key credit risk areas such as:
- Portfolio credit risk management
- Collections strategy analysis, setting and optimisation
- Impairment methodology, calculation and maintenance and migration to IFRS9
- Vintage analysis and deep dives
- Customer segmentations, PD modelling and other required statistical methodologies
- Developing, coaching and growing the nascent portfolio credit risk function
In addition, you will require strong influential and interpersonal skills with other functions including, but not limited to, the credit risk team, the collections operations team, as well as all functional heads. This role will be a crucial contributor to the Credit Risk Committee. It will report into the Chief Risk Officer.
What you need to be great at
- Able to diagnose issues, find the necessary data, analyse the alternatives, and engage in a methodical problem solving process
- Very strong analytical and conceptual abilities
- People management, day to day motivation and effective leadership of a team
- Team player with the ability to establish positive working relationships across various functions. You understand that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts
- Passionate about customer experience, you strive for operational excellence and are able to apply best practices within a financial services environment with a compliance mindset
- Driven, energetic and ambitious and not afraid to get your hands dirty. You have strong attention to detail, and the ability to switch between the big picture and day to day operations
- Target focused with strong control over SLA and metrics management
- Biased to action; create ideas, think outside the box, be a problem solver and solution finder, be proactive, use initiative to develop and improve
- Aligns and prioritises actions and resources in advance to achieve the best possible outcomes
- Start-up DNA; resilient, 80/20, carpe diem, gets things done, adaptable to change, huge capacity for hard work in a relentlessly fast paced environment
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- Extensive private sector financial services experience ideally across retail financial products, geographies and macro-economic cycles
- Proven credit risk experience with focus on delivering world class results
- Track record of team leadership and people management with positive outcomes of high performing teams
- Experience working within a heavily regulated environment and a focus on compliance
- Ability to work with internationally located teams
- Strong customer service experience
- Data mining or statistical experience
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Experience/familiarity with UK legislation would be highly advantageous
- Start-up experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as you set up processes and frameworks for us to grow into. If you haven’t worked in a start-up before, you need to show us that you have a real desire and potential to be successful in a young, high-growth, non-corporate company.
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Credit Risk Portfolio Manager? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.
Want to learn more about Prodigy Finance? Visit Prodigy Finance's website.
Jobs You May Like
Sales Development - Outbound (Austin, TX)
Box, Austin, TX
Trunk Club, Chicago, IL
Looker, Santa Cruz
Associate Director, Controller Europe
Bluebird Bio, Zug, Switzerland
Payment Integrity, Operations Manager
Clover Health, San Francisco, CA
Manager of Treasury Operations
Cloudflare, San Francisco, CA or Austin, Texas