Prodigy Finance, Cape Town
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$500 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 120 countries.
Our team of over 150 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, AlphaCode, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced Mid Software Engineer who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 120 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential, and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by one of the top European VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
Get to grips with basic web outputs by providing team support and shadowing senior team members. Support more senior team members on projects and work on own smaller projects. Focus on internal relationships with team members.
Specific responsibilities are:
- Be an integral and trusted member of the tech team
- Be a mentor to new team members and handle a full caseload of hands-on coding/ implementation projects
- Execute a number of projects which contribute to the build of our platform. Take responsibility for coding core-feature implementation projects and Greenfield projects. Make an impactful contribution, ask great questions, and execute high quality work
- You classify, store and handle data in accordance with policies
- You take responsibility for the state of the code you both inherit and produce. Be an expert in Ruby on Rails and have strong technical knowledge across all parts of the tech stack
- Researching and staying abreast of key technical developments and industry trends and innovations
- Completing reasonable tasks as requested within the broad parameters of the role
What you will be measured on
- Technical acumen; become fluent in Ruby on Rails and learn to work independently on coding projects
- Critical judgement; become a trusted and respected member of the team
- Contribution to the team; deliver the projects on time and be proactive and responsive
- Mindfulness; become aware of how your work and your behaviour impacts the wider result and the impact, not only on the platform build, but on the whole Prodigy Finance team
What you need to be great at
- Technical competence; love coding, able to learn new paradigms quickly and look to continuously improve and find better ways of doing things
- Excellent critical judgement; able to make good decisions, be trusted, respected and dependable, be proactive and responsive, ask the right questions, raise flags at the right time, able to prioritize and plan your own individual tasks
- Mindfulness; be considerate of the implications of your work, really care about what you are doing and the impact of your contribution
- Teamwork and team spirit; we are all contributing to the same platform, so you need to not only be a great individual contributor but be more motivated by the achievements of the whole team - we only win if the team wins, see the impact of your own work and positively influence and help the work of others
- Getting up to the front of the bus; get stuck in, execute, generate ideas, have an impact, don’t just sit back and be a passenger
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- 2 – 4 years’ experience in programming
- 1+ years’ experience in a scripting language such as Rails, Python or PHP, familiarity with concepts such as MVC and have a basic understanding of web frameworks
- Demonstrable track record of working with a relational database, for example PostgreSQL
- You have experimented with open source tools, including github, Jenkins, and others
- Played around with cloud platform such as AWS, Heroku or EngineYard
- Capacity and inclination to learn and you must be passionate about web development. Really passionate
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Ideally you will have some experience of Ruby on Rails, plus 2 years general work experience as a developer. We will consider you if you have less work experience, but you need to live and breathe open source coding and possess the attributes described, with the potential to become a truly great programmer
- Start-up experience. Sometimes the earth moves beneath your feet at Prodigy Finance so you've got to be comfortable with ambiguity, able to wear lots of hats, and adapt easily as we continue to grow
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Mid Software Engineer? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.
Want to learn more about Prodigy Finance? Visit Prodigy Finance's website.
Jobs You May Like
Team Lead IT Desktop Support
TripAdvisor, Oxford, United Kingdom (can be base in London or Oxford)
Contract Software Engineer-Security Automation
PlayStation, San Diego, CA
Senior iOS Engineer
Gametime, San Francisco, CA
Senior NPI Operations Program Manager
Fitbit, US - San Francisco
Back End Engineer
NerdWallet, San Francisco, CA
Senior Test Automation Engineer (Android)
Lalamove, Hong Kong