Data Engineering Team Lead
Prodigy Finance, Cape Town
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Data Engineering Team Lead
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended almost US$1 billion through the platform to fund over 20,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 170 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced Data Engineering Team Lead who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in continuing to scale the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with Technology at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by our culture. We’re still a start-up at heart, so you can expect a sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech company with successful start-up roots, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
- Establish strong working relationships with stakeholders as we build our vision for data engineering within our Technology space
- Grow and develop a small data engineering team and provide hands-on leadership for the team
- Lead the design and creation of next-generation data pipelines and infrastructure; this includes architecture and infrastructure creation and maintenance for data storage, data sharing, data processing, data preparation and external data source integration
- Collaborate with multiple teams across the business to further realise and educate the teams on the importance of our data engineering capability and data infrastructure
- Provide guidance and support to software engineers, data engineers, data scientists and business stakeholders
- Engage frequently with direct reports and your team to offer coaching and mentoring
What you will be measured on
- The integration of our external data sources via API, Flat File or other mechanisms into our dara warehouse
- The timely delivery of quality data to our business teams
- The quality of the data we store within our data warehouse
- The adherence to target architecture guidelines, or your influence in changing how we architect for data integration, transformation and access
- Growing our data engineering team to become a valuable asset to the business
What you need to be great at
- Coaching and mentoring team members as well as other teams within the Technology and business teams
- Communicating to cross-functional business teams and highlighting the importance of data engineering
- Structuring and implementing data systems, knowing when to use an off-the-shelf tool and when to roll your own
- Coding - when needed - and ensuring your team produces production ready quality data systems
- Having and holding a vision for how data systems should be structured, adapting the vision when needed and sharing the vision with others
- Continually assessing the data engineering tooling landscape for improvement of our technology stack
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- 5+ years experience within data engineering
- A number of years experience leading a technology team
- Experience with relational database administration
- Experience working with data pipelines and messaging systems (e.g. RabbitMQ, SQS)
- Experience working with Cloud Platforms such as AWS or Azure
- Experience with software application development in a production environment
- Understand software design principles and best practices (TDD, continuous deployment, etc.)
- Solid foundational knowledge of Data Science and Business Intelligence
- Experience with Data Warehousing and ETLs
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Experience working with Amazon RedShift
- Experience working with Postgres
- Experience with NoSQL database platform (e.g. Hadoop)
- Experience with AWS data processing tools (Dataprob, DMS)
- Python experience will be highly beneficial
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Data Engineering Team Lead? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.
Want to learn more about Prodigy Finance? Visit Prodigy Finance's website.
Jobs You May Like
Senior Infrastructure Engineer (London)
Credit Karma, London, UK
Senior Spark Developer (Singapore)
Staff Software Engineer, Frontend
Slack, Pune, India
UI Platform Engineer
CB Insights, New York
Senior Software Engineer - Experiences
TripAdvisor, Boston, MA
Quality Engineer, System Integration / QMS
Zoox, Foster City, CA