Back Office Coordinator - Loans
Prodigy Finance, Cape Town
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$800 million through the platform to fund over 16,000 students from over 150 countries.
Our team of over 200 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for a loan servicing coordinator who will want to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast-growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 150 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town, South Africa.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a start-up culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech start-up, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
- Business as usual running of the loan management systems
- Month end management
- Business support, including escalations and queries
- Work with both internal and external stakeholders
- Become a systems expert on all loan servicing tasks to assist and answer questions from the rest of the business, including Front Office customer queries
- Work closely with our system vendors, building a relationship and taking the lead on system troubleshooting and development
- Drive improvement and functional effectiveness
- Work with Product planning to adopt, install and support new products, and enhancements on the loan servicing systems
- Execute, and align, operational items of the loan management policy, ensuring all loan servicing systems comply and are up to date
- Be responsible for quality of functional outputs
- Support the business on all internal and external audits
- Help build company insights by performing analysis where needed
What you will be measured on
- Operational SLAs agreed, executed, and are being met.
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail, we work in a highly regulated environment and we need to adhere to multiple regulators due to our borderless business model.
- How well you work with other teams and customers i.e. inter-functional assistance and feedback
- Deep subject matter expertise development over the course of time
What you need to be great at
- Attention to detail, operational activity is conducted with very few errors. More importantly, can identify, escalate and correct any errors when made by any part of the team or business
- Process control and process thinking – understanding the impact of how changes upstream affect customers and stakeholders in all parts of the value chain
- Accountable, being comfortable with being the first point of contact by internal and external stakeholders
- Great financial acumen, understand the functional and operational elements of a financial business and products
- Ability to remain calm and collected whilst maintaining high performance under pressure
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- 3+ years’ experience in financial services
- Knowledge of loan or accounting systems; both operationally and technically
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- The ability to communicate and negotiate with a variety of internal and external customers
- Thrives in a busy environment and handles stressful situations calmly and professionally
- Team player, willing to help other areas to work as one team
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Lending – ideally you would have worked for a lending business, knowing the importance of strong operational processes to support all aspects of responsible lending and repayments
- Fintech experience – hopefully you would have experienced the excitement and challenges of working at the bleeding edge of disruptive technology within financial services
- Experience with FCA or have worked in a business that is FCA regulated before
- Experience with systems implementation and migrations
- Growth Company experience – you may have experienced rapid growth in your current role or company, knowing how to keep pace with changing processes and dependencies
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Back Office Coordinator? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.
Want to learn more about Prodigy Finance? Visit Prodigy Finance's website.
Jobs You May Like
Manager, Utilities and Production Equipment Support
Bluebird Bio, Durham, North Carolina, United States
Operations Intern Mental Health Incubator Startup @ Harvard i-lab, non-profit
Affect Mental Health, Boston, MA