Prodigy Finance, Cape Town
Funding shouldn't be a barrier to education, so they're revolutionizing international student loans.
Prodigy Finance - who we are
Prodigy Finance is a platform that enables financing for international postgraduate students at the world’s best universities, whilst delivering competitive financial and social returns to alumni, institutional and private investors.
This borderless and innovative model enables education loan financing to students from across the globe, whilst using predicted post-degree affordability rather than present-day salary. Since 2007, Prodigy Finance has extended over US$500 million through the platform to fund over 12,000 students from over 130 countries.
Our team of over 160 (and growing) is already truly global. Our head office is in London with much of the team being based in beautiful Cape Town. We also have an office in New York plus team members based across Europe and Asia.
We are funded by some of the best, pre-eminent institutions in the world including Index Ventures, Balderton Capital, RMIH, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Why this is an amazing opportunity
This role is perfect for an experienced Scrum Master who wants to supercharge their career by experiencing first-hand what it is like to be part of an energetic, extremely fast growing company.
The sense of impact and reward will be huge. You will help to build a product which makes a very real difference in the world. Be a part of delivering socially responsible financial services to the masses; make it possible for students from more than 130 countries to obtain the finance to fulfil their dream of studying at the world’s top universities and schools.
We are a small non-hierarchical team; this means that you are going to get exposure to all aspects of our business immediately. You’ll gain as much accountability as you can handle and have a huge influence on scaling the company.
Our team is very international and very sociable; you will interact with the broader business on a regular basis. The position will be based in Cape Town.
One of our goals is to build one of the top FinTech teams and cultures anywhere in the world. This means putting a lot of time into ensuring we only hire people with exceptional potential and creating the best working environment possible. If you want to work somewhere where you're learning from some of the best brains in FinTech, this would be a good fit.
Why join Prodigy Finance
- Be a part of a pioneering global growth company
- Experience the excitement and learn from being part of an incredibly fast-growing young company. No kidding – exponential growth. Happening right now
- Be pivotal in scaling the business by identifying smart solutions and partners with tech at the heart of it
- Enjoy the agility and flexibility offered by a startup culture. A sociable, relaxed and friendly work environment (with a serious coffee culture where you can wear shorts to work)
- We will help you make your mark. Make a real impact on the business and experience a steep learning curve with huge opportunities to grow and develop
- Gain an inside perspective on the functioning of a venture-backed FinTech startup, backed by top VCs, learn day-to-day management and build functional expertise
- Build a platform that helps to make a very real difference in the world
What you will do in the role
As a talented and committed Scrum Master, you will be working closely with everyone involved in making a great product; through facilitating, guiding, training, mentoring & coaching.
Specific responsibilities are to:
- Guide and coach the team & organisation to follow Agile/Scrum practices
- Guide and coach the team to become self-organised
- Help the team assess their ‘Scrum Maturity’ and achieve higher levels of maturity
- Improve transparency within the teams
- Facilitate the removal of impediments
- Guide the team to find the right person within the organisation who can help them
- Build a safe and trusting environment where conflict can be managed in a healthy way without fear of blame
- Be responsible for supporting and coaching the Product Owner on Agile/Scrum practices
What you will be measured on
- Agile acumen and impact on the team
- Critical judgement; become a trusted and respected member of the team
- Contribution to the team; through pro-activeness and responsiveness
- Mindfulness; become aware of how your work and your behaviour impacts everyone, from individuals, teams, departments & the wider Prodigy Finance team
- Skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
What you need to be great at
- Be extremely well-organised, persuasive, tenacious, and adaptable
- Be capable of remaining calm and maintaining a sense of fun in a fast paced and challenging working environment
- Have sound knowledge of Agile best practice and practical experience in applying Agile principles in a software environment
Who we are looking for; track record must haves
- At least two years’ experience working in a Scrum Master role with a Software Development team
- Good skills and knowledge of facilitation, continuous improvement, empowerment, transparency and servant leadership
- Knowledge of Agile approaches – Scrum, Kanban, etc.
- Knowledge and experience with Agile techniques – Automated Testing, User Stories, TDD, Continuous Integration, Testing, Pairing, Agile Games, etc
Experience that would be nice to have (but we’ll trade off if everything else fits)
- Ideally you will have actively engaged in the agile community (Meetups, conferences, etc.)
- Experience of other related methodologies such as Kanban/Scrumban/XP, would be useful
- Scrum Master certified
The Prodigy Finance fit; attributes which run true in everyone at Team Prodigy
To be an A player at Prodigy Finance, you need to possess – in spades - the following attributes:
Innovative + Smart
Be curious enough to want to know more, think out the box, maybe even break the box, show initiative and be smart about it to find implementable, impactful solutions.
International + Accountable
Push yourself to be better every day. Work with others across the world, be resilient, add value and then hold yourself accountable. Encourage and celebrate each other.
Energetic + Fun
Sense of humour = survival. Bring energy and fun. Wear your heart on your sleeve. Work hard and find the time to play. We’re in this together.
Do you want to be our next Scrum Master? Here’s what to do now:
If this sounds exciting and you'd like to have an informal chat, get in touch below and tell us why you want to work at Prodigy Finance.
About Prodigy Finance
The Prodigy Finance Story
Prodigy Finance was started by three INSEAD MBA graduates who experienced the difficulties of financing an international degree first-hand. In 2007, we decided to solve this problem.
Our innovative platform offers loans to international postgraduate students attending top universities. Through our community platform, alumni, impact investors, and other private qualified entities invest in tomorrow's leaders whilst earning a financial and social return.
To date, more than $318 million in Prodigy Finance loans have been disbursed to over 6,800 students around the world. Over 80% of our borrowers tell us they had no other way of financing their studies, so we like to think that we're helping educate the world.
We believe funding shouldn't be a barrier to education.